Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Monday, June 5, 2017

~Projects~

Happy Monday, dear friends!!

I hope you are staying cool where you are!!!

It will be a hot week here in Arizona.....
106 and 107 degrees.....HOT!!!
It's funny how 90 feels so much cooler now!!!
Does anyone want to trade???

~*~*~*~
I really felt a bit drained after my recent penny rug project
so decided I needed a bit of a break!!!

It didn't last very long!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My first project is an applique piece!


I have wanted to make an applique piece for some time
  and while looking around for a pattern,
 I suddenly decided to try my Butter Mold Heart pattern!

When I originally made it, I had punch needle and rug  hooking in mind, so only suggested those in the pattern but have come up with a way to make it into an applique pattern!

It you have already purchased it and want to make an applique out of it,
 please feel free to do so!

Here is how I made mine!!

Take your pattern provided and go to any print shop! 
 I went to Office Max!



Ask them to print it DOUBLE the size!
  You can see the difference with the original size on top!
 You could also use this size for a small rug or mat
 or if you wanted a larger rug,
 you could probably TRIPLE the size!!  
They were very helpful and worked with me!!

I had a large piece of black coat wool to use as the background and measured out the proper size from the dimensions of my new pattern!

I took a large piece of FREEZER PAPER, and traced over the design with a small Sharpie pen
and then cut each piece out and ironed it (shiny side down)  to the proper colors of wool I chose!



I tried to match the colors as closely to the original as possible
because I love these colors!
Feel free to choose your favorites!!



The colors in this photo are pretty close to how they really look!




This is the fabric I  have chosen to finish the back!!
I just love it!!
What do you think?



I also decided to stitch the small hearts to the big hearts first before pinning everything in place!!


I'm looking forward to getting started on my applique piece later today! 

If this looks like something you might be interested in and you would like to purchase my pattern, please see the sidebar on my blog! 
It is available in my Picture Trail Selling Shoppe!

~*~*~*~*~*~

My second project is another penny rug!!

When I cut out all of those pennies for my other rug, I also cut out lots of other ones
and had some others already cut, so when you have LOTS of pennies........
You make another penny rug!!!

This one will be a bit different than my last one and not quite so large!


The colors are brown, beige, dark cream, and barn red!



This rug will have pennies for the backing rather than a fabric foundation!! I love making these
as you sew each penny together using the back pennies!
These are not completely stitched together yet,
but you get the idea!!
 I've made a number of these and they hold up really well!! 
If you haven't yet tried your hand at making one,
 why not try one today??

~*~*~*~*~

I hope you are enjoying some kind of hand work project and if so,
 would love to have you share what you are up to!!! 
 There is just something so fulfilling and satisfying about using our hands to create!!!

~*~

Wishing you a day filled with Projects that make your hands busy and your heart sing~

Julie

16 comments:

Saundra said...

That design is absolutely wonderful and would also make a great hooked piece. LOVE IT!.

Julia said...

Your pattern is really nice Julie and I think the colors are perfect. I have appliqued cotton quilts but I never tried appliqued wool. It sounds like fun.

I've just started hooking a rug but it's hard to find the time at this time of year as there's so much to get done outside. It's been raining every day pretty well with sunshine in the mix. Take care and stay cool.

Smiles and warm hugs,
Julia

Barbara Shores ~ Village Folk Art said...

I don't think creative people ever take a break... This is going to be beautiful, it can't miss with your talent. Love the colors and red is one of my favorites. It will go perfectly with your Penny rug center piece.
I found a photo of an Eagle I painted on an old school library chair. It was many years ago and I have always loved it. I was a member of the 'Desert Quail Tolers' at the time and it was auctioned off at one of their boutiques to help raise funds for the group... Sadly (for me)I did not win. So now I am making it a pattern for punch needle ... finally got it in my hoop. It is oval and measure 7" x 11"... bigger than usual. Hope it turns out OK. Kind of tricky going from a paint brush to a punch needle. I hear Challenges are good for the soul.
It is 96 here. You can have the 107. I'm keeping cool inside with stuff to do.
Enjoyed visiting ... Your are always up to something that is inspiring
Keep cool if you can ... I'll be back my friend,
Folk Art Hugs,
Barb

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Saundra,
I'm so happy you love the design!!! I hope to hook it sometime and certainly would love to see it done!!
Thanks so your very kind words, my friend!

Hi Julia,
I love to work with wool as it is so forgiving!! I'm glad you like the colors!! Hope you can find a short window in your day to work on your new rug! We all need some "me time!" Wish you could send us some of your rain!!!
Enjoy the sunshine in between!

Hi Barb,
Yes, we always seem to find something to keep us busy, don't we?? I hate not having some kind of project!!! Your eagle sounds just wonderful and I'm sure you will do a fabulous job on making it into a PN piece!! Looking forward to seeing it!! Challenges ARE GOOD!!! I would LOVE to have 96 but it is not looking too hopeful!! Just staying in like you!!!
I'm happy you enjoyed your visit!!!!

Take care, friends and hope you all have a great week!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

acorn hollow said...

we are the complete opposite we are cold 40's 50's and rain lots and lots of rain but I would not trade for that heat. But I would like to see the sun.
Love your piece.
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

OMG Your wool applique colors are GORGEOUS! I also love your new penny rug and the Cannot wait to see everything completed. Am back to working on my Americana tree. Temps here in the 60's...will keep it. :-) Janice

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Cathy,
How I would LOVE some of that weather!! Want to split the difference?? lol
I wish I could send you some son!!!
I'm so happy you love my applique piece!!
Thanks for stopping by and stay warm and dry!!

Hi Janice,
I was so happy I had these colors that are so close to my PN piece!! It will be fun to see it all stitched!! I am also enjoying the new penny rug, especially since it is so different from my last one!! Have fun with your Americana tree! I would keep the 60 degree temps too, if I were you!!

Hope you both have a great week!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

Rugs and Pugs said...

I just love everything you do!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Marcia said...

Julie you are so creative and your color choices couldn't be any more perfect. Love the design!
Unseasonably cool and rainy here in New England. Low 60's and the rain never seems to quit.

moosecraft said...

Gorgeous! Now I can't decide whether your butter mold design looks better as applique or needle punch? :-) Love the new penny rug too! Always good to have some hand stitching to calm the nerves... :-)

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Lauren,
Thanks so much, my friend!! Made me smile from ear to ear!!! Big Hugs!!!

Hi Marcia,
I am really happy I had the right wool colors I needed!! It was fun to put it together!! I would sure LOVE some of your weather!! We could sure use some rain and 60 degree weather!!! I will be happy to share......! lol

Hi Sharon,
I am really happy with both versions and now just need to get a rug hooked!!
It is so much fun to play!! I am loving the penny rug too, and certainly do find the stitching and creating is just like medicine!!!

Thanks so much friends, and hope you all have a great week!!!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

Winnie Nielsen said...

Wow, your new project is gorgeous with those bright, deep and rich colors! Your projects are inspiring in their patterns and meticulous stitching work that you do. I appreciate that you are keeping timeless crafts alive and thriving with your work. Thank-you!

Mugwump Woolies said...

As always, beautiful work! The colors are my favorite! I have been doing a lot of applique, as well. It is so soul soothing and restorative...a perfect antidote to crazy world events!
Hope this finds you well, sweet friend.
Robyn

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Winnie,
Thanks so much for your encouraging words!! I love these rich colors and am always drawn to them! So happy you like them, too!! I think it is always so helpful to share these hand crafts and hope you are inspired to try your hand at some!!! Busy Hands make Happy Hearts!!!!

Hi Robyn,
I know you love these colors, too!! I always think of you when I see anything RED! Thanks for your sweet words! So happy your talented hands are keeping busy with some projects!! I totally agree that stitching and creating gives a sense of peace and calm!!!

Hope you both have a wonderful week and try to stay cool!
Heart Hugs~
Julie

Mary Johnson/Designs In Wool said...

Hi Julie, Love your new applique...the colors are wonderful. I like the back fabric! Your blogs are so much fun to read! Mary

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Mary,
So lovely to hear from you and so happy you love the colors! I was so happy to find that backing fabric in a quilt shop! Now I wish I would have bought more!! Isn't that the way?? So happy you enjoy my blog posts!!!!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie