Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Thursday, March 3, 2016

~A BARREL OF FUN~

Good morning, my friends, and a most happy day to you!!

Yesterday we celebrated my Birthday

and there can be no better place to start


than at Cracker Barrel!! 

The porch is filled with wonderful rockers



and even an old barrel or two!

The menu has an array of delicious suggestions but our favorite is



Sunrise Sampler!!! 
 It has a bit of everything and is the perfect size to share!!



We decided to order a side of pecan pancakes too!!  They were delicious!!

Now we were ready to start the day!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several of my friends have told me about a shop that is a MUST SEE,

so off we headed to

THE ATTIC!!!!

It is located in Mesa, about an hour from us, and is well worth the trip!!

The minute you walk through the door, you are transported to 

NEEDLEWORK HEAVEN!!

So many things to see!!!

I was greeted by some lovely ladies who chatted with me and made me feel so welcome!!

Jean Lea, the owner, graciously allowed me to take some pictures!!!

I apologize for the quality of some of them, but I guess I was just so excited, I must have been shaking!!  Sadly, some of them were just too blurry to use!  Next time I go, Jeff will be taking the pictures!!!  lol


Sweet grouping of lovely models and samplers around a fireplace! 



Another lovely grouping! 


Wonderful tree with ornaments, even if it is blurry!!


I loved this painted box on the mantel!


Flosses galore!!!!  I will take one of each, please!!


More lovely colors!!


They have special classes and events that take place here!!  Can't you just hear all the chatting and laughter?


Lots of room for everyone!!


Lots of windows and light, contrary to what this picture is showing!!!  Sorry!!


This must be someone's hubby who waited too long for his wife to finish shopping!!  At least he had a comfy chair to rest in!!!


Prairie Schooler patterns galore!


Sweet Halloween grouping!


More lovely models and books!!!  I want them ALL!!!


I loved this cool display with the graduated cubbies!


Jean (right), and Beth (left), one of her employees,  both graciously posed with me!  Carolyn, another employee, was busy with a customer or she would have been in the photo too!!  Next time, Carolyn!! Jean was getting ready to leave for the Market show in Nashville and will be adding more exciting pieces to her beautiful shop!  I was so happy I was able to meet her before she left!! 

Beth took the time to give a little tutorial on stitching and helped me pick out some linen and threads for two patterns I bought!!  It has been sooooo long since I have done a cross stitch piece and I am excited to try my hand at it again!!!

They are both small projects, but will help me get started!  Wish me luck!!!

Many, many thanks to Jean and her staff for your kind and gracious welcome and help!!  It was so lovely to meet you and I can't wait to come back for a visit!!!  
You can visit THE ATTIC, here!!!

~~~~~~~~~~

Our next stop was a wonderful antique shop called Market Square Antiques!!


Isn't the storefront amazing?


This place is HUGE, and so well set up!!!  


Each booth has a little brick front divider and is decorated beautifully!!

I was so busy looking that I failed to take lots of pictures, but hopefully you will get a feel for the size of this place!!! 

It was really fun to look around and we certainly did get our walking in for the day!!!  It is definitely a place I will want to come back to again......and again!!!!  

By this time, we were ready to call it a day and ended up at Outback Steakhouse for a nice meal, which we again shared!!!  We were so hungry we forgot to take any pictures!!!!


Since it was my Birthday, Outback treated me to a small Birthday dessert, complete with two lighted candles!!!  If you have never had the Chocolate Thunder From Down Under Brownie Sundae, you will want to try one!!!  It is WONDERFUL!!!


Thank you so much for sharing my special day with me!!!  It truly was a lovely day and even though I am one year older, I don't mind a bit!!!  Who can complain when you get to end it with Chocolate?

Wishing each of you a day filled with a Barrel of Fun AND Chocolate~

Julie


18 comments:

old crow said...

Happy Birthday Julie!! What an amazing way to spend your special day!! Everthing looked wonderful, stitching heaven! I hope you found some treasures in the antique mall!!! The cherry blossoms are blooming here! I know how much you liked them! Glad you had a great birthday!!
Birthday Hugs to You!!
Mona

Barbara Shores ~ Village Folk Art said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
WOW, what a wonderful way to spend your day.
Wish we had stuff like that here, but then you know all too well what the High Desert has to offer...Besides a terrific climate.

Have a Great Day... Enjoy with Peace for all,
Barb

Chris said...

Hi Julie... happy birthday! What a fun birthday celebration you had with fabulous shopping, good eats, and a wonderful date with your hubby. Here's to the year ahead with abundant blessings to you and yours, take care, Chris

Rugs and Pugs said...

Happy, happy birthday and may you be blessed with many more.
Sounds like a perfect way to spend the day. Great pictures of you. I think cross stitching is like riding a bicycle and you'll have no trouble at all. Did you find any treasures at the antique mall?
Hugs :)
Lauren

Saundra said...

Happy Birthday gal; sure looks like you had a grand time on your special day. The skeleton with comment was quite humorous. Hope you found lots of goodies to take home and what's better than chocolate!!!!!!! That should have been the main meal, lol.

marly said...

Wishing you a happy birthday but it looks like you already had one! The Attic. An hour a way. You lucky girl. But that antique place looks like a real treat too.

HomeSpunPrims said...

Happy, happy birthday blessings my sweet friend! Looks like you had a very special celebration day. Love your hair! Will write soon. Birthday hugs, Lori

The Eveningstitcher said...

Oh what a fun day!! I visited the Attic Needlework last April. It was fantastic!!! I think I was at that antique mall also....such a beautiful area!! Glad you had a fun birthday!!

Earlene L. said...

Julie your day sounded wonderful and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
I have had that cake and it is heavenly.
((((Hugs)))
Earlene
PS You looked very nice

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Happy birthday! What a fun way to start the day! I would love to go to the Attic, and I know I'd want to buy so many things. I can't wait to see your progress on your cross stitch. The antique mall looks like a fun place to spend a few hours!

Primitive Stars said...

Happy Belated Birthday Julie!!!! What a wonderful celebration for you, so sweet. Love Cracker Barrel, yummy. The antique mall Holds many treasures, I love to go on the hunt in them. You look so pretty in the pictures, you are a gem!! Blessings Francine.

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Wonderful way to spend your special day!
Blessings Louise

moosecraft said...

A very Happy Birthday to You!!! Looks to have been a most perfect day! You even stopped at my two favorite places to eat! lol! Love all those stitcheries and that antique mall looks like so much fun! You certainly know how to party!!! :-)

Darlene said...

What a special day!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Friends,
Many, many thanks to all of you for your lovely Birthday wishes!!! The day was just perfect, filled with delicious meals, and special places!! We only have a Birthday once a year, so we need to make the most of it!!! Thank you for helping to make it special!!
Warmest Hugs~
Julie

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday ,from The Netherlands.

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Happy Belated Birthday Julie!!!
What a Barrel of fun you had on your birthday!!!
Just the way I would love to spend the day!
Did you find any wonderful treasures at the antique mall???
Many Blessings to You!
Robin

Kurt Schindler said...


Happy Birthday, Julie! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Eating out and shopping - can't get much better than that.

Charlotte