Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Monday, August 17, 2015

~IT'S OFFICIAL~

I finally did it!!

I actually joined a Rug Hooking Guild!!

I also joined ATHA!!!

So now, It's Official.....

I am a real, honest to goodness

Rug Hooker!!

Last Saturday, I attended my new chapter in Redlands,

called, California's First!!  Has a nice ring to it, doncha think?

Everyone was so very nice and welcoming and I felt right at home!!

Here are a few snaps of the ladies, busily hooking away!


Bonnie, the President of the chapter on the left, and Jane, the Recording Secretary, on the right!  I was so honored to be sitting at their table!! 



Darlene, the V. P. on the left, and another member checking out a new book, in the middle!!  I think her name is Judy!  Sadly, I forgot the name of the lady sitting down, but I am sure I will know it next time!! Connie, walking toward me, is a lifetime member in her 90's!!  She was hooking a rug in number 3 that was just beautiful!!  Sadly, I did not get a picture of it!!    



Mary Johnson, who owns Designs in Wool, in the middle, and her friend Becky, on the right!!
I so enjoyed chatting with them!!  The lady on the left is a real doll named Doris and believe it or not
she is actually 97, one of 3 lifetime members!!!  She still hooks too!!!  Amazing!!!




Jean is sitting on the right and this is her church where the chapter meets!!!  Harriet is another lifetime member, also in her 90's!!!  Still hooking too!!!


Some snacks for us to enjoy!!  Jean even brought some Chili Dogs!!!  Yum!!
The gal on the right is Jennie and she lives near me in Highland!  We had such a nice chat together too!!  She is Correspondence Secretary!



James is the only guy in the group and is really helpful, loading and unloading for everyone!! He really enjoys hooking!



Treva, the Treasurer, is busy measuring some red dot tracer and was the one who I talked to about all the info for joining the chapter!!  She really made me feel so welcome!!!  The other gals names escape me too, but I will learn them all!!




Some new hookers, taking a class!!  One of the teachers is on the right, but I forgot her name too!!  There were just so many people to remember!!




More new hookers!!



Sandra was the teacher for the beginners and is such a fun lady!!




Some of Mary's wool and kits from Designs in Wool!  Her wool is so lovely!!  I did find a new pattern to hook!!



This is Dora, holding up a very large rug that she just finished!!  Everyone applauded!  Now she has to bind it!!




Such a lovely group of ladies that I am so happy to be a part of!!!  I know I will learn LOTS from all of them!!!

The chapter has quite a few members who weren't in attendance, but I look forward to meeting them all in the upcoming months!!!  

So, it is official!!  I was really nervous about "jumping in" but have to say that "the water was fine!"
If any one reading this has been hesitant about learning this amazing hand craft, please just give it a try!!!  I know you will be so glad you did!!!  I certainly am!!!  

***************

Before I close, I would really like to thank all of you who visited my recent update!!  I am so grateful for your support and love of my work and for all your kind words and purchases!!  It makes it all so worthwhile!! Anyone who creates feels such a sense of gratification when they know their work is valued!!  Thank you, So Very Much, my friends!!!

Wishing you a week filled with love and light~

Julie

13 comments:

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Congrats Julie on being an Official Hooker!!!
Wow there are a lot of people in the group and even a guy(that's wonderful)
Hope you have lots of fun and learn new things ~ some day I'll give it a try ~ it's on my bucket list!
Don't forget to show us what your working on!!!
Many Blessings
Robin

Rugs and Pugs said...

You will learn so much from just being around other hookers. I am so happy you found a guild to join. You are so good with names. Heck, I would have been lucky to remember just one or two.
You will love the ATHA magazine!!!
Happy hooking :)
Lauren

Saundra said...

Congratulations on being "official", lol. You are far better at remembering names than me. Hooking with others is a fantastic way to learn different techniques and see new and try different equipment before making that financial plunge. You will enjoy this adventure.

Mugwump Woolies said...

Bravo, Julie! Hooking in a group is so much fun! You will learn a great deal from all these ladies...keep your eyes open for the many tricks of the trade! Enjoy!
Robyn

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Good for you Julie!! It looks like so much fun and you will learn so much.
I haven't got to do any rug hooking in a long time. I wish I could get back to it but maybe this winter when things calm down for us.
The only rug hooking guild close to me is two hours away and there are no shops carrying wool of any kind here. Thank goodness for ordering online and friends like you who share your adventures!

Barbara Shores ~ Village Folk Art said...

Hi Julie, I am so proud and happy for you. Do you know if there any guilds closer to me??? Ya know Apple Valley, Hesperia and Victorville???
My paternal grandmother, Carrie, was a hooker. I tried once but did not know what I was doing. I would definitely need some guidance. Looking forward to see the new pattern you just got. What fun and I know these kind of groups are always so enjoyable and helpful.

Enjoy the day with Peace and Blessings...and keep kool...Looks like another 104 day for us,
Barb

Chris said...

Hi Julie... good for you! Though I haven't met Mary of "Designs in Wool" in person, I have ordered from her shoppe on Etsy. She is one of the nicest and most helpful people that got me on the road to hooking. Even though I live in MD, we hookers connect across the miles and as M. Stewart would say, "that is a good thing". Do you think she hooks??? lol All my best and take care, Chris

Kim said...

That looks like a great group. You will learn lots and lots. Do they meet monthly?

marie said...

Good for you! Hooking in a group is lots of fun. I travel 1 1/2 hours once a month to go to our hooking group. It's worth it. I try and pulls some loops every day.

Jennifer Wright Reece said...

Julie, we are so happy to have you as a member of our chapter! It was great to meet you and chat with you. I look forward to spending some quality hooking time with you!
Jennie

Primitive Stars said...

Way to go Julie, looks like so much fun.Hugs Francine.

HomeSpunPrims said...

That's so awesome Julie!!! You will learn from the others in the group and it's so much fun to be able to rug hook with a group. So excited for you!!! Hugs, Lori

Julia said...

I don't know how I missed this post. Maybe i forgot to follow you so I'll take care of it as soon as I'm done this comment.

You have taken a great step and I know you won't regret it. You can't have too many hooking friends.
I'm really excited for you.

I still haven't joined any guild as long as I'm working at the farm as I have more than I can comfortably handle at the moment. Maybe some day if and when I retire.
Have a great weekend and thanks so much for your kind comment.
Hugs,
JB