Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Sunday, June 14, 2015

~I'M HOOKED!~

A most Happy Day to you!!

I am sooo excited as I type this post today!!

I have finally realized a 

LONG, HOPED FOR GOAL!!!

I Started to HOOK!!!!



Here is my VERY FIRST RUG!!

It is a wonderful pattern called PUMPKIN PATCH, 

by Kris Miller of Spruce Ridge Studios!

I called her to order it from her website

and had a wonderful chat with her!!

She was so helpful and answered my questions,

addressed some fears and really encouraged me!

Her kits are just wonderful, complete with cut wool strips,

and great instuctions!!  Mine even came with a hook and rug tape!!

Please be sure to check out her site for more great kits and rugs!!



I also ordered her new book, Introduction to Rug Hooking,

and it has been very helpful as well!!!

You can order it from her, or get it on Amazon!

Many Thanks, Kris!!

~*~*~*~*~

My friend Ruth, who owns THE WOOL LADY,

in Temecula, CA, 

actually taught me the "How To's" of rug hooking!

It really helped me personally

to be able to see someone do it and then show me how!!

She knows how to do so many of the needle arts,

teaches all kinds of classes,

and has wonderful wool and yarn,

as well as other supplies for your needs!!

Be sure to stop by if you are in the area!!

Many Thanks, Ruth!!

~*~*~*~*~*~

I know I am still learning, but I feel pretty good about my start!




What do you think??

So many of you ladies who hook have had a huge influence

on me,

both directly, and indirectly,

and I thank you all so much!!

~*~*~*~


Here is a picture of my frame!



I bought it a long time ago at a Thrift Shop,

and after so many years of storing it,



it is FINALLY being put to good use!!

Right now I am working on the background



so I am getting close to the binding part!!!

Yikes!!!

I am a bit nervous about that, but will take it 

one step at a time,

and hopefully, I will be able to do that with no hitches!!!

Wish me luck, and any advice or hints would be welcome!!!

This has been a LONG TIME DREAM I have had,

that has finally come true!!!

Let me just say that if YOU are reading this,

and have had fears that you can't do this,

IF I CAN,

 YOU CAN!!!!  

Don't put it off any longer!!



You will be SO GLAD YOU DID!!!

Wishing you all a "DREAM COME TRUE" kind of day~

Julie 


16 comments:

moosecraft said...

Congrats to you Julie!!! I can tell you will be hooking many more rugs in the days ahead. Your loops are so nice and even... looks to me like you're a natural at this art! Love the frame too... built to last! Enjoy!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your loops look perfect! Many longtime hookers don't have loops that even. Congrats to you!
Kris is one of the sweetest hookers (or person for that matter) you will ever meet. Her book is excellent. I wish I'd had something like that when I first started hooking. I am in the process of hooking the chicken/rooster rug from the book but I can't show it until later in the summer when it get to it's new home in Sebastopol, CA.
Happy hooking!!!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Chris Z said...

Hi Julie.... welcome aboard to the world of worms and noodles! Your hooking looks fabulous and yes, Kris is a real sweetie. I've had the pleasure of meeting her at a local wool festival in MD and have enjoyed hooking her patterns and reading her informative book. All my best and happy hooking!

Barbara Shores ~ Village Folk Art said...

Hi Julie ... Good for you and it looks great. I agree, with other ladies inspirations. I have so many projects and crafts that I'd love to try. I will need another lifetime? My Grandmother Carrie was an accomplished hooker. I tried once and really did not know what I was doing ... so it got trashed. With the technology that is available today on computers, I just might give it another whirl. Thanks for YOUR inspiration lady!
Enjoy the day with Peace,
Barb

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Congratulations Looks beautiful--now get that background finished!

wendyytb said...

You are a beginner?? No way! You are a natural!!

Mugwump Woolies said...

Wonderful! What a great start you have made! I know you will enjoy this new "addiction". Wool stashes have a way of growing...and growing and I am sure you will fall prey to this obsession in the very near future. Keep up the good work, it looks as if you have mastered the details already. I am so happy for you, my friend. Isn't it one of the best feelings when you get to do something you have wanted to do for a very long time? Bravo!

xo Robyn

The Eveningstitcher said...

Good for you, Julie....but let me warn you......you will be hooked!! So many beautiful designs, wools, colors, you'll go crazy like the rest of us hookers!! You loops are perfect. Kris' book is wonderful!!! Have fun...can't wait to see your finished project!!

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

You are hooked now! Looks great and I am happy for you!

annie said...

congrats it looks wonderful, so nice & even.
I love the frame!
admiring from afar!

Karen Martinsen said...

Hi Julie - fantastic! And congratulations on starting to hook...I hook but not as often as I'd like because of other things but it is addicting when you do pick up that hook!
Wonderful design - oh I wish I had a floor stand - I may have to look into one.
Blessings
Karen

Anonymous said...

Julie,
Your loops look so nice and even. You are doing a beautiful job. Even loops is were I am lacking and also choosing colors. I hope to hook like you do someday.

Cindy Huxtable

Gayle said...

Looks like you're off to a GREAT start Julie! This will be such a fun rug to display in the fall - you'll have it all finished by then. Good job!

Primitive Stars said...

Way to go Julie, love the pumpkin you hooked. Knew you could do it, keep up the great work.Hugs Francine.

Saundra said...

How lucky for you to have gotten such a fantastic deal on great hooking frame from the thrift shop. Your hooking is wonderful and are heads above what my first project looked like. Glad you are hooked.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Dear Friends,
I am truly overwhelmed by your wonderful words of praise and encouragement!! Many, many thanks!!! Some of you are no-reply, so I can't thank you personally, but hope you will come back and read this note!! I know I have so much to learn, but am excited that I have been able to start this amazing art!
Again, my deepest thanks!!
Happy Hooking, everyone!!
Warmest Hugs~
Julie