Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Sunday, April 12, 2015

~PLAYING WITH PENNIES~

A most Happy Day to you, my friends!

I have been playing lately!!


Playing with lovely WOOL PENNIES!!

************

Several years ago I decided I wanted to make a Penny Rug

so I traced out 3 different sized circles and chose some favorite colors!

Then we moved and as it happens, they were tucked away and forgotten!

Has that ever happened to you??

*********

Well, recently,  I discovered all of these pennies I had stitched into stacks

tucked away in a drawer and decided it was

finally time to make that Penny Rug!

After "playing", with different color schemes,

(almost like a puzzle),

I finally decided on how I would finish it...



...and here it is!!  I hope you like it!!!

************

I used all coat weight wool that I felted

and most of it is actually re-purposed from old coats!


-

I love the color combination!

**********

I decided to make the rug where the pennies are sewn together

with a penny on the back that covers the stitches,

rather than on a background!

The only thing I would have done differently 

was to make sure all the back of the rug was the same color


(notice some of the pennies are red and some are brown)

but since I made these so long ago

I just went with what I had and actually love how unique it is!! 


I think it fits in with how penny rugs were originally made........

using what you had and making do!!

I LOVE that philosophy and think it suits my rug too! 

**********

I am already thinking of making another one!


Hopefully, it will NOT take me quite as long as this one did!!

Wishing you special moments filled with time to REST and time to PLAY, my friends~~

Julie

P.S.  I am still doing well and spending LOTS of time RESTING and PLAYING, 
just like the Dr. said!
 I truly appreciate your kind words and prayers!!  
Thank You So Much!!

8 comments:

Barbara Shores ~ Village Folk Art said...

It is lovely and what a pleasant surprise it must have been when they were all rediscovered.
I too have enjoyed making a runner and am wanting to do another. It is so relaxing and rewarding. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration, will visit again, Barb

Rugs and Pugs said...

Resting and playing. Sounds like heaven to me!
I love how your penny rug turned out. your stitches are so perfect.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Primitive Stars said...

Evening Sweet Julie, I love the wool penny rug, the colors are perfect. Looks really great where you put it, your home is delightful. Take care, hugs Francine.

moosecraft said...

Simply beautiful, Julie! Love the main color theme and also the way the back is finished. Make do and make wonderful! :-) Looking forward to seeing your next penny rug!

old crow said...

Hi Julie, your penny rug is beautiful, and your stitches are so perfect! I love the colors! What a lovely keepsake! Glad you are taking time to stitch. Hope you are feeling better! Take Care!
Hugs, Mona

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

Your penny rug is lovely!
I love the colors!
Glad you are still feeling well and doing what the doctor says.

Prims By The Water said...

The colors in your penny rug are fabulous. Looks so good underneath your firkin. Also love those sweet hearts in the measure. Janice

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Glad to hear you are doing well and your having fun playing around!!!
So love how your penny rug turned out!
Blessings
Robin