Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Sunday, May 4, 2014

~DUTCH TREAT~

Hello and Happy Day, dear friends!

Have you ever awakened from your slumber and immediately had something to eat on your mind??
  (Please tell me that I am not the only one who ever does this!!)

Well, that happened to me this fine day and what do you suppose I was thinking of??


A DUTCH BABY PANCAKE!!!

If you have never had one of these, may I just humbly say you are missing out on something that is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!

It takes 4 very simple ingredients that you probably already have- Eggs, Flour, Butter, and Milk!!  You also need fresh lemons and powdered sugar after it is baked!!  Also if you happen to have some fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or oranges,  they make a great topping and make it even better!!!

The first time I ever had one was back in 1979 (was it REALLY that long ago???) in Redding, CA.  I was part of a traveling ministry and we stayed in our hosts homes during our crusades in their churches!  My hosts were awesome people who really spoiled me and they made me a Dutch Baby more than once while I was staying with them!!  They even graciously gave me the recipe and it is STILL the one I use when I get a craving for this amazing pancake! 

One other thing I forgot to mention is that you need an oven proof pan or dish to bake it in that has sides!!  I have always just used a pie dish,  or large pyrex dish, but recently came across THE PERFECT PAN at Goodwill!!


  It is nice and large and has handles and can go in the oven!!!  The best  $5.00 I have spent in a while!! 

All you do is melt your butter in your pan in the oven at 450 degrees and while it is melting you beat the eggs in a large bowl, (I use a whisk),  add milk and flour and beat till smooth!! You could do this in a blender, but I find  the whisk works perfectly for  me!  Your butter should be melted and then you pour your batter into the hot pan, return it to the oven, set the timer for 20-25 minutes, and get all your other things ready!

This is what happens when you take it out!


It PUFFS!!!


Look at all those hills, valleys, and crevices of sheer deliciousness!!!


Here is my plate, all ready to enjoy!!! 



Strawberries + lemon + powdered sugar = SHEER BLISS!!!



Boy, was it EVER YUMMY!!!!
Yes, I WILL eat those last few bites, Thank You!!!

***************
Would you like to try it?  If so, I am going to share my recipe with you! 


My recipe for Dutch Babies!!


Here is the breakdown for your pan sizes too!!  The one I made today was for the 4 1/2 size!

Nothing could be EASIER or MORE DELICIOUS!!! 


Hope you enjoy it!!!  I would love to hear if you decided to give it try!!   

Wishing you a day filled with being adventuress~

Julie

14 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Oh my,that looks so yummy Julie. Thanks for sharing, Hugs Francine.

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

We call this a David Eyre pancake in our house. They are a favorite!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

YUMMMMM! Thanks for the recipe!
Hugs, Carolyn

marly said...

First - your header photo is wonderful. Second - I wish I hadn't seen this because as soon as my stomach settles from dinner, I'm making one. With lots of powdered sugar. I may even give my husband a taste.

Kim said...

Ooh, that looks incredible. I am going to try it next weekend. That gives me a week to find a good pan :)
P.S. If I go to bed and I'm hungry and I go to sleep planning an elaborate breakfast

Sandy Whitlow said...

I used to make Dutch Babies years ago but haven't made them in a long time. Thanks so much for reminding me of how wonderfully yummy they are! Guess what we're having for breakfast next week!!! :)
Hugs,
Sandy

moosecraft said...

Wow! This sounds super yummy... and easy! Thank you!

Penelope's Beehive said...

Yummers...I shall put the kettle on! Thank you most kindly for sharing such a delicious recipe Julie!
xox

Rugs and Pugs said...

I've never heard of a Dutch Baby pancake but it sounds D-I-V-I-N-E!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Sounds and looks Delicious!!!
TFS
Prim Blessings
Robin

A Primitive Homestead said...

Oh my this looks delicious. I must get my oven fixed to try. Thanks

Wendy said...

Hello Julie :)
I'm a dedicated lurker and NEVER comment ... But I had to tell you that I made your Dutch Pancakes for supper tonight served with strawberries and kiwi and we LOVED it ... reminds me of a 'Yorkshire Pudding' but sweet and very yummy :)
Thankyou for sharing... even with a complete stranger ...hehehe
Hugs from across the pond
Wendy x x x

Mugwump Woolies said...

I'm sure I gained a pound or two just reading this post! My that does look good!
Have a wonderful Mother's Day, my friend!
Sending you a big hug,
Robyn

old crow said...

Hi Julie, we call this a Dutch apple baby at our house! Same recipe except you slice fresh apple in melting butter, brown sugar on top. When it comes out of the oven carmel sauce on top!! Yummers!! Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day!
Hugs,
Mona