Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Monday, April 23, 2012

~ SCRAP HAPPY ~


I save all of my fabric scraps!  Big scraps, medium scraps, skinny scraps, little scraps and even snippets, another name for very, very tiny scraps!


Here is a pile of some various pieces, some larger than others, but all used in other projects and saved for just such a time when I want to make something small!


Little pieces of scraps, that become wings for angels and wings and tails for birds!


More small pieces from other scraps that will become.......


These!!

I love making pincushions and here are a few that I have just started from a wonderful pattern by Kindred Spirits!  They need to be distressed and embellished and to think that they all started from a lowly piece of scrap fabric!!!  It makes me........just plain HAPPY!!!


My very favorite pincushion is made up of various scraps of homespun, mounted on an old hogscraper, stitched with a herringbone stitch, and filled with all kinds of old pins!! I just love it and it always reminds me that a lowly scrap can become something wonderful!!  Some of the pins are even covered in some old velvet and satin!  And to think those scraps could have just ended up in the trash, but are now proudly displayed!


If you have never saved those small pieces of fabric, I encourage you to start saving them today!  They may just become a new pincushion, an angel wing, a strawberry, or any number of sweet little creations that you can treasure!!  Let's all get SCRAP HAPPY, shall we??

Wishing you lots of snippets and scraps my friends~~

Julie


15 comments:

HomeSpunPrims said...

So fun to see what your scraps of fabric become Julie! You are so good at those special touches to your work. Thanks for sharing. I'll look forward to seeing your finishes. Take care my friend. Big hugs, Lori

Primitive Stars said...

Hello Julie, my, you do wonderful things with the scrape fabric. Love the vintage look pincushins,they are beautiful. Blessings Francine.

A Primitive Homestead said...

Your creations from scrap are wonderful. Waste not want not is oh so true. I am right there with you saving every tiny scrap even down to less than a snippet used for stuffing. Blessings!
Lara

Angi at drakestone primitives country cabin said...

How wonderful your pinkeeps are.. I too save all my trims and love actually digging through to be reminded of projects past.. X

Becki said...

Oh, how lovely! What a wonderful pincushion. Definitely something to add to my "to-do" list.

Blessings,
Becki

The Humble Stitcher said...

I love your little scraps, Julie...and your pincushions are all so wonderful! You have definitely inspired me to start saving more of my tiny pieces of fabric :)
Hope you have been keeping well.
Big Hugs,
Sandy

Nan ~ Threadwork Primitives said...

I can't throw away my scraps either. Glad to know I'm not the only one that saves tiny pieces of fabric. Your multi fabric pincushions are divine! Love that herringbone stitch too.
Nan

Sharon said...

Your scraps are certainly put to good use...love your pincushions! It is very hard for me to throw away scraps.

Mugwump Woolies said...

Hi Julie, What wonderful pin cushions! Love all the little details like the beautiful stitching and the sweet pins.
Thanks so much for sharing all these great creations!
Take good care,
Robyn

Orange Sink said...

Hi Julie,
I see I am in good company saving the tiny scraps! They really do come in handy for lots of projects! I LOVE your pin keeps and all the different fabrics in them! Lots of stitching and work my friend! But oh so fun!
Happy scrap saving!!
Hugs!
Cathy G

annie said...

Those are all just so wonderful. I love seeing the simple become art in your hands.

Karen said...

I don't know what a hog scraper is but I sure like your pin cushion.

Il Cassetto dei Bottoni said...

Molto molto bello!

Matilde

Penelope's Beehive said...

Oh Julie dear...I LOVE the precious wings and tails of "yet to be" lovelies! The bits of fabric are lovely, and the fancy stitching simply splendid! And then there are the pincushions...can anyone ever have too many dotted about a sewing room? I think not surely.
Wishing you a beautiful day. I shall speak with you soon my friend...
Fondest hugs,
Judy xo

Jennifer said...

OH how precious! I save all my scraps too of homespun fabbies.

Love what you have done with them!

Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest