Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

~LITTLE SQUARES OF WARMTH~


Today it is cold and rainy, the perfect weather to talk about something near and dear to my heart.......QUILTS!!!  They are not only the perfect way to wrap yourself in warmth, but they also instantly warm up a room with their vibrant colors and interesting patterns!


Recently, I came across a wonderful book about quilts by none other than COUNTRY LIVING!! 


Published in 1992, the book is just full of beautiful photos of many different kinds of quilts; from the Log Cabin, (my personal favorite), to the Flower Basket, Irish Chain, and the Crazy Quilt, just to name a few!  Also included are several chapters on living with, and caring for your quilts, as well as quilting basics, stitches, and even patterns!


It is a lovely book that I would highly recommend you watch for, if you don't already own it!!  I was fortunate enough to find this pristine copy for pennies and it makes for great reading on a day like today!!

Since I am already talking about quilts, I decided to take a few pictures of some of my framed quilt squares. These are old pieces I have collected and framed to use as art.


These old blue shutters are my "make do wall" on my stairway landing, and are the home of many of these frames pieces!  I left each frame different, so as to really highlight the uniqueness of each quilt piece, plus created a wall that warms up my contemporary townhouse, adding some favorite old crocks, and a wooden birdhouse that I love! 

A closer view of the left side.

Here is the right side, leading up the stairs!

A sweet pinwheel in a wonderful frame!

Though I do not pretend to be a quilter like some of my very talented friends, I have done some very small quilted pieces and love quilting some of my creations!!  Perhaps this book will be just the inspiration I need to tackle something bigger!!!  


Wishing you a day filled with Inspiration and Warmth, my friends~~

Julie 


10 comments:

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

Love all the quilt blocks!! That's a good book. Have a great evening Julie!!

Mugwump Woolies said...

Hi Julie,
What a fun way to enjoy quilt blocks! Love seeing all the early fabric, and different skill levels of the ladies who created these beauties. Looks like a wonderful book!
Robyn

TheCrankyCrow said...

You have a wonderful collection of quilt squares Julie!! And so ingeniously displayed! I love it!! I love quilts - have dabbled a bit, but haven't tackled a large project either. Our tiny quarters isn't really conducive to it - no place to leave the sewing machine up; nor to spread fabric out and cut it; and the iron and ironing board is in the basement. I know....excuses - but they really are annoying obstacles.... Thanks for sharing your collection with us! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Sharon said...

Awesome display!

A Primitive Homestead said...

You have found such a creative way to display the quilt pieces. I purchased fabric to make a crazy quilt years ago when my Gram said she would help me since I was not really a quilter. Sadly she passed away suddenly & the fabric pieces still sit in waiting. This book could give me the push to move on. Thanks for sharing. Funny as I read you mentioned about wrapping in a quilt. It is raining & cool tonight. In fact I am wrapped in a quilt Gram made & gave me. Blessings!
Lara

Primitive Stars said...

Hello Julie,I`m also a lover of quilts,they truely are warmth for the soul. Love your quilt squares,look great on the blue I want them shutters. Will have to look for the book,good read,Warm Blessings,Francine.

Rabbit Hill Primitives said...

So pretty are your framed quilt squares Julie! I can never pass up an old quilt. All the love and stories stitched in every one of them. Don't you wish they really could talk?

That just made me think....Have you ever read the Elm Creek Quilt books (fiction) by Jennifer Chiaverini? I'm sure you probably have but if not they are really enjoyable.

Happy Friday and happy weekend!!
Warm hugs,
Jenn

HomeSpunPrims said...

Julie,
I have that book! It is a good one and full of inspiration. I love your display with your framed quilt blocks. You are so creative! Love how they look on your old shutters. Thanks for sharing a corner of your home. I always enjoy seeing how you decorate. You are so good at putting things together just right. Have a great weekend my friend. Hugs, Lori

jolee said...

Just loved reading this. My heart goes pitter patter just at the sight of an old quilt. And have always thought of framing pieces with all those old frames I've got stashed in the attic. Thanks for the inspiration. jolee

Penelope's Beehive said...

Good evening Julie ~

Your quilt square collection is splendid! I am thrilled to know that you have given new life, and a forever home, to these precious handmade treasures from the past. Oh the wonderful stories each square has to tell! I feel certain, that when all is quiet, you listen to them busily chatting together. Thank you for sharing yourlovelies!

Warm and gentle hugs...
Judy xo