Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Monday, January 23, 2012

~CANDLELIGHT AND CRANFORD~


Shortly after my last post, I found myself in the dark, literally, as the snow turned to ice and our area lost power!  All of my best laid plans for happily stitching away had to be put on hold as I scoured my home for any available candles!! 


Since it is winter time, the days are shorter and it gets darker faster, plus we were getting freezing rain and even with the curtains open the light was very minimal!!  It was also cold and I am indeed so thankful that we do have a gas fireplace!!  It helped keep us reasonably warm if we stayed in the living room!  This is what it looked like from my stitching chair!!


My husband Jeff is an Online Professor, so that created a difficult situation for him as you can imagine!!!  Thankfully for us, there is a Starbucks not far from our home, and he was able to go there and plug in for class, as well as charge his phone and his 2 laptops!!  I did get some stitching in for a brief time during the day, but once 4 o'clock came, I had to light all my candles again!!


Since Jeff did have his computers charged, we decided to use them to help us get through the long, cold hours by watching a mini series we had purchased a while ago that we had watched on Masterpiece and fallen in love with!!  It is called CRANFORD, and is a wonderful story of a small market town in England, during 1842.  The characters are delightful and the stories of each one will have you laughing and crying as you relive with them their experiences!!  As we watched, we were struck with the irony that we were living much like them.....no electricity, no cell phones, no modern conveniences, living with darkness and cold, and yet unlike us taking it in their stride!! 

I felt so lost and confused, my routine disrupted and finding just how dependent I really am on all that is modern!!  I missed my microwave, my blow dryer, my refrigerator ( we lost all of our food since the power was out for almost 4 days!) my sewing machine and my electric blanket, just to name a few things!!!  Yet the people of Cranford just lived life with candlelight and firelight and seemed perfectly happy with the simple things!!  Watching this wonderful program really helped us as we waited (im)patiently for the power to return and our lives be restored to normal!! 

The third evening as we were almost finished with watching, we heard a WHOOSH and the furnace came back on as well as a few lights we had left turned on!!  At first, I was so stunned I just sat there in a state of disbelief, and then the tears came......floods of them in gratitude for being able to SEE again!!  We finished watching, WITH the candles still lit, in honor of the lovely people who captivated us with their stories and helped us through!!!  If you ever get the chance to read the book or view this series I would so encourage you to do so!!


Now that I can see normally again, I am so happy to say that we have finally uploaded my hearts and some other items on my picture trail!!  Some of you have been asking about them and probably thought it would never happen!!  I plan to open the album Friday morning at 7 am Pacific time, if any of you might be interested in seeing what I have been working on!!  Thank you so much for your patience with me and for all of you who continually follow and leave such sweet comments!!  It really brings me joy!!

May you all have a wonderful day filled with LIGHT, WARMTH, and LOVE!!  I think the people of Cranford would echo that!!


Heart-felt Blessings~~

Julie


13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Julie, if you loved Cranford, try "Larkrise to Candleford". It's also from the BBC. Totally delightful (all 4 seasons)!

Larkrise garden girl said...

I am also a fan of lark Rise to candleford you will love it. Also there is a funny movie called lost in Austen that was really a good Jane Austen type movie, Cheri

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Thankfully you weren't without power for very long. It really makes you reconsider just how "quaint" it was to live then.
Hugs,
Susan

Penelope's Beehive said...

Joy of joys...I am so very happy to read that your electricity has returned once again! It is a delight that you were able to stitch, and enjoy Cranford by candlelight...a cozy-snuggle surely.
Warm & gentle hugs,
Judy x

HomeSpunPrims said...

Oh Julie, I'm so sorry to hear you were without power for so many days and you lost all your food! I've never had to experience that. It sounds like you and Jeff made the best of it however. I have never seen the miniseries. I will have to look for it. It sounds like just the sort of thing I would enjoy. Best wishes for good sales tomorrow my friend! Big hugs, Lori

Orange Sink said...

Welcome back to the world with artificial light! Oh my goodness I can't even fathom being without power that long! We would freeze to death here in Northern WI. Even though we have wood heat the furnace has a blower that is elec. I do have a wood cook stove though that is fully operational we would have to fire up I suppose. I admire your fortitude and understand those tears completely!
Big warm hugs and greeting from WI
Cathy G

annie said...

I have watched some of these episodes on you tube. I loved it too! What a blessing to have a gas fireplace, and a way for him to get the equipment charged. What a blessing candles are that light us, and guide us along our journeys!

old crow said...

Hi Julie,
Isn't power just the "sweetest" in honor of the power back on....I baked a dozen cookies!! Hope you are enjoying all the comforts of a well "lit" home!!
Happy "Powers Back On" :)
Mona

Joanne said...

No power for 4 days - I feel for you! I would be beside myself for sure! we get so used to the modern conveniences and there are certain things I wouldn't want to give up - indoor plumbing and electricity! Will have to look for that series - sounds like something I would like - guess there were happy because they knew no different - they didn't know there may be an email waiting for them from a friend! LOL! Off to check out your wares - i'm 100% positive they are wonderful! Takecare

alltheseboys said...

Oh Julie FOUR days..I think I would have died. Well probably would have as I haven't got a fireplace so would have frozen, lol!!! I'm so glad you made the most of it. And even "gladder" you have power again. Katie

Mugwump Woolies said...

Julie...glad you are up and running again. We've lost power after hurricanes...but never for four days, I can't imagine a stretch that long!
I'll be looking for these mini series...they sound wonderful.
Enjoy your day...back in the 21st century,
Robyn

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Oh my gosh ~ without power for 4 days??? I wouldn't be able to stand it ~ especially in the middle of winter ~ I think I would of had to go to a hotel or something!!! Way to Go ~ for toughing/roughing it out that long. Thanks for the info on the book ~ I always like a good read!!!
Glad to hear your life is back to normal now ~ let the creative juices flow!!!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Rabbit Hill Primitives said...

Hi Julie,

4 days! Holy Toledo, that stinks. We sure are spoiled these days.

"Cranford" is one of my favorites! There is also a "Return to Cranford" if you need more! I think you can still watch it on youtube. Also like someone mentioned above "Lark Rise to Candleford" is absolutely wonderful!! (also on the youtube :)) I bought that series though because I love it so much. Enjoy your power and the rest of this lovely week.

All my best,
Jenn xo