Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Friday, January 6, 2012

~A BEVY OF HEARTS~



By definition, a bevy is a large group or collection, an array, or an assortment of something!  I felt it was the perfect word to describe what I am making.......my most favorite thing........HEARTS!!!  I have long loved the different shapes of hearts and have even named my blog and business with the word Heart in both!!  It is a beautiful symbol of love and a perfect reminder to each of us that WE LOVE and ARE LOVED!!


Here is a closeup of some of the hearts, with the sunshine showing some lovely patterns on the velvet, as well as some former seams of older stitching.  There is also a heart from some upholstery fabric, that will become a Heartstring!  The red is very rich and is showing just a wee bit brighter than it actually is!  They are all stuffed and ready for hangers!


This picture is from a sweet little book that I love to look at because it is all about.....HEARTS!!  It is called MARY EMMERLING'S AMERICAN COUNTRY HEARTS, and is filled with wonderful examples of this lovely shape that seems to captivate so many!!  If you ever happen to find a copy, do snap it up and enjoy the beautiful pictures and lovely quotes that grace each page.  I would certainly love to own those cookie cutters shown, wouldn't you!!!


Besides these hearts shown, I have many more all stitched up and ready to become pincushions, single hanging hearts and of course, Heartstrings, both vertical and horizontal, and hope to have some on my picture trail soon!!  They take some time, between the cutting, stitching, stuffing, hand stitching (I do little X's all around the edges), staining, adding hangers, and finally making tags, but they are so much fun and who doesn't love RED!!  

I will leave you with a sweet quote from the HEARTS book....

A HEART FOR AN OLD FRIEND,
A HAND FOR THE NEW:
LOVE CAN TO EARTH LEND
HEAVEN'S HUE
~ James Stephens

Wishing you a HEART filled with all that is lovely~~

Julie  


16 comments:

alltheseboys said...

Julie I JUST finished a post saying how much I lOVE LOVE LOVE red...and anything in red...has GOT to be amazing. I love all your little hearts! Katie

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

I love your hearts. En masse they are even more wonderful, especially with the re-purposed velvet. Wonderful!

Hillcresthome Prims said...

Your hearts came out SO fabulous, great job. I LOVE them. You are ready for Valentine's day before any of us, LOL!

Enjoy crafting,
Have a blessed weekend.
Tricia

Cheyenne said...

These are so lovely, Julie! I love the lil poem at the end, too.

BumbleBeeLane said...

Just so pretty! Made my Heart pitter pat..smile..Warm Blessings!~Amy

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Love the poem Julie! Your hearts are lovely. I will have to start to get my hearts out too...can you beleive that Valintines is just around the corner!

We just took the Christmas tree down today and packed up the treasures we have collected through the years...next year we will get them all out again!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs, Carolyn

Larkrise garden girl said...

Wonderful post.I am going to start to think about Valentines Day glad you reminded me.

Orange Sink said...

Hearts have to be one of my favorite things! Your red velvet hearts are so wonderful! I have Mary Emmerling's Country Hearts book and it is a classic...... You've inspired me to get mine off the bookshelf at this moment!!! Feb. will be here all too soon!!
I love all of your creations Julie.....
Hugs!
Cathy G

nathalie-poppy said...

JUST BEAUTIFUL sweetie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love your hearts and I love your blog !!

Mugwump Woolies said...

Julie....your hearts are wonderful! The textured fabric adds so much...and of course the color red...the very best.
Enjoy the weekend,
Robyn

Penelope's Beehive said...

Visiting your little corner of the world, paired with a "bevy" is simply the perfect way to begin the day!
Sending warm hugs...
~ Judy

bettyj said...

Love your heart. I am a heart person too. some people think they are passe', but for me I will always love hearts.lol Reading your blog has made me want to get mine out!TFS

HomeSpunPrims said...

Julie,
You do the best posts! Love your bevy of hearts and can't wait to see them made into all of your ideas for them. And yes, those are some great cookie cutters in your book. I put my Christmas away yesterday and set out my heart cookie cutters. Have always wanted one of those punched tin heart cheese molds but they are too expensive. Sigh.....Have a wonderful weekend my friend. Big hugs, Lori

TheCrankyCrow said...

That, my friend, is one of the most beauteous bevies I've ever been blessed to behold! Wow!! I just love the romantic combination of velveteen and hearts....so very endearing. It's easy to go "cutesy overboard" with hearts, but I heart done right is an amazing thing...and you continually amaze me....Heartfelt wishes for a wonderful weekend....Smiles & Heart Hugs ~ Robin

Cottonwood Lane Primitives said...

Beautiful collection of hearts! I love how you've incorporated the upholstry fabric in some--wonderful way to repurpose that fabric! I'm not familiar with that book but am definitely looking for more heart cookie cutters at the next antique show! Roberta

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Love you bevy of hearts!!!!
Such a sweet poem too!!!
Prim Blessings
Robin