Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

~ MY RED PLATE ~



Many years ago, I was gifted with a beautiful red plate and it has become one of my most cherished possessions! Over the years it has been used for many special occasions in our family and the memories connected to it are priceless! What makes it even more precious is that the giver of this gift passed away, and yet each time I look at it, I am reminded of her love and generous spirit, and that makes the sentiment on the plate, “YOU ARE SPECIAL TODAY,” that much more meaningful!

This year I have decided to use this plate as part of my Christmas Decorating, and have given it a place of honor in the kitchen, right over my stove, where I will be spending LOTS of time baking!


It will be a constant reminder to think of all those special people in my life that mean so much, not just at Christmas time but each and every day!!

Along with the red plate, I have added several other items that rest on my noodle board . One is a Plum Pudding, that I made several years ago using a wonderful pattern by my sweet friend Sharon Mitchell of HOMESPUN HEART PRIMITIVES! Sharon is not only a talented artist, but a wonderful encourager and I thank her for her influence in my life! The pudding nestles in an old wooden bowl, and I think it looks good enough to rival Mrs. Cratchet‘s!


On the other side of the noodle board is a group of 3 primitive gingerbread men I made several years ago, using a great pattern by my friend Catherine Simpson of ANGEL AND THE CROW! They are nestled together in an old tin cake pan, with an old chopper, old cookie cutter and an old grater!! The lamp behind them is one that I won in a Giveaway from THE PRIMITVE HEART and I love the glow of the light from the pierced tin shade!


Also sharing the noodle board is another design by Catherine Simpson, a primitive snowman, made especially for me by Catherine! He is surrounded by some old biscuit cutters, a heavy iron heart mold, an old tin tea container and an old grater, with the red plate right above him, so I’m sure he does feel special indeed!!


I finally finished up my Christmas Decorating and with the help of my SPECIAL husband Jeff, you can see it on my picture trail, if you have a spare minute or two during this very busy time of year! Perhaps you will be inspired and if you have a moment, I would love to hear from you!






Christmas Decorating 2011

May you be filled with Peace, Hope and Love during this Blessed Season and my wish for you is that you would remember….

YOU ARE SPECIAL TODAY!!

Julie




12 comments:

wickedfaerie said...

Oh Julie, I love your red plate. Isn't it wonderful when something makes you feel so special. I really like you plum pudding too. Your decorating is adorable. Stop by sometime, I have been done for a while now.

Have a lovely Christmas,
Sue

TheCrankyCrow said...

The plate is so very special - and how wonderful for you to make it the center of your beautiful kitchen display. And I went to visit your picturetrail tour - and I just don't want to leave...Oh my heck - what incredible, wonderful, treasures you have!! Those Santas! Those amazing Cody Foster snowmen! The unbelievable cookie cutter collections! Dear Harriet in the sifter! And everything else!!! You have some seriously cool things - and a mad, mad, talent for displaying them. Can I move in??? ;o) Thank you for sharing this with us. I think my "decorating" will be a little "hit and miss" this year. Sigh (because I love it so when it's up....) - so I will have to come back are replay your slideshow and pretend that's my reality......Wishing you a wonderful tomorrow....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

alltheseboys said...

Your pictures are beautiful. What fun looking at them! Katie

jennifer768 said...

Love that awesome red plate and the memories behind it!Your noodle board is perfectly decorated!Christmas Blessings,Jen

annie said...

Your plate is wonderful, such a treasure from a dear friend. All your decorations are so very appealing! Merry Christmas!

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Aww, Julie you are special! Thank you for this sweet post. I really like what you decorated with on and around your noodle board. I think you've got the greatest way of placing things, like the gingers in the vintage cake pan. The red plate is really a wonderful remembrance of your sweet friend.
Merry Christmas to you, one of my first followers!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Love the red plate! How nice to have it as a focal point where you can see it every day :).
Really enjoyed looking at your decorations, thanks so much for sharing! Merry Christmas!

HomeSpunPrims said...

What a beautiful memory Julie. I love where you have the plate. Your Christmas decor is wonderful. I really enjoyed all of your pictures. Such a warm and inviting feeling in all of them. Thank you for sharing with us. Big hugs, Lori

Larkrise garden girl said...

What a beautiful plate and I loved the message of your post! Sometimes we have to remind ourselves.I loved your pictures of your Christmas. I especially loved the dolls! Merry Christmas! Cheri

old crow said...

Julie, your pictures are primitively wonderful!! You and Jeff take such beautiful pictures, your home looks so cozy and warm!! Thank you so much for my sweet little "stump dollie", I love her!!
Merry Christmas!!
Hugs to you!! Mona

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks everyone, for your sweet comments! It is so hard to believe I have had this plate since 1979 and I know my dear friend Kimmy would be so pleased that it struck a chord with you!!
I hope all of you are cherishing special memories as well as making new ones to cherish!
May you have a MOST Blessed Christmas!
With Love and Joy~~
Julie

prims by olde lady morgan said...

Oh my, just found your blog! Love everything...See a few goodies from Catherine Simpson. She was one of my favorties, is she still creating, her website is gone..Love her patterns. OLM