Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Thursday, December 1, 2011

A FROSTY MORNING



The view that greeted me this morning as I opened my curtains was one of stark beauty and amazing contrast…..frosted grasses and trees with sunshine breaking through, creating a sparkling pasture!


Then, in just a matter of minutes, a thick mist descended and blanketed everything with a dense mantle of fog! It is indeed December 1st, and winter is making it’s appearance here in the Pacific Northwest! That means that Christmas is not too far away!! The countdown begins!!!

With thoughts of Christmas, come thoughts of SANTA, and as you can see by my new header, (with special thanks to my husband Jeff) I have several new ones I have created! They were actually started last year but were never able to be finished due to an unexpected trip. I even have one more waiting to be completed, but am happy I got two of them done, even if it did take me a whole year!! I guess the old saying fits appropriately here, “SLOW, BUT SURE!” Hopefully the last one will not take me a whole year to complete!!

The Santas are made with the same pattern by Hidden in the Attic, a favorite of mine, but I did try to make each one unique, starting with the robes!



The brown fabric is a brushed flannel and shows a bit lighter in the picture due to the flash! Both Santas stand about 19” tall and are weighted with sand, so they stand very well on their own! The red fabric is also a brushed flannel, and is also darker in person.


I found 2 wonderful vintage bottle brush trees during one of my “treasure hunts” and thought they would be perfect for each Santa to hold! I just wish I could have found one more for the last Santa, but have another idea for him!

I also used some really thick store twine for his rope tie and old skeleton keys, with handmade tags and a rusty bell so he can “jingle all the way!”


The beards, also a bit different, are real sheep’s wool, and the eyes are also a bit different, making each one unique. They will be added to my Picture Trail soon, so keep checking back! This is a very busy time for my online professor husband who also happens to be my Picture Trail, blog, computer guru, so I have to be patient! He has a MASSIVE AMOUNT of papers to post and grade and very kindly and graciously helps me when he can!! I could not do it without him!!!

I am so happy to welcome all of you new followers to my humble little blog, and love nothing better than reading your comments, so just know how much it warms my heart to see and hear about your interest!! With all of the MANY WONDERFUL BLOGS out there, I am honored that you chose to stop by!! It may seem like a little thing, but believe me, EACH AND EVERY COMMENT AND VISIT IS VALUED!! Many, many thanks!!!

 

Oh, and remember the frost I mentioned in the beginning of this post? Well, it is mostly gone, but the fog is STILL HERE!! I am STILL hoping the sun will break through!! Till then……

Wishing you a day filled with
warmth from the heart~~

Julie


10 comments:

Kattywhompus Primitives said...

Hello Julie, The frosted meadow and your Santas...both beautiful. So good to "see" you this afternoon. You blog is still one of my very favorites. Hope you are enjoying the season!
Blessings to you,
Rhonda

HomeSpunPrims said...

Sweet Julie, your Santa's are simply wonderful! Those older bottle brush trees are the perfect touch for them. Love your header picture. Jeff is a gem to help you with your blog and PT. Stay safe if you drive in that fog! Hugs, Lori

annie said...

I love your Santas!

Penelope's Beehive said...

Oh my goodness...your Santa creations are over the moon! Love-r-ly! And the vintage trees...and all of the little touches...and, and, and...perfection!

Your view out-of-doors is truly breathtaking, and an inspiration surely. Thank you for sharing such beauty my friend.

Warm & gentle hugs,
Judy

Cottonwood Lane Primitives said...

Your Santas are beautiful. You did a really wonderful job on their beards. I know the sheep's wool sometimes has a mind of its own. Awesome cookie cutters! ~Roberta

Shirlee said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful Santas! Blessings, Shirlee

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your Santas are absolutely precious Julie!! I love Hidden In The Attic designs - she's amazing....But I truly don't know how you can stand to part with these - they look so perfect in your display!! Gorgeous photos as well - we're beyond "frosty" and have moved into downright "BRRRR....." Woke up to a good covering of snow and the lows are supposed to get to around 12 (which for us will be about 6 or 7) - and then more snow on Saturday. Tis the season....ready or not! Happy December my friend! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Joanne said...

Hi Julie - Oh my those Santa's are wonderful and those trees are a great touch! You are so talented and make each looks unique! frost and fog! Oh my it truly is December isn't it!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Oh Julie, I love the lovely view from your window what a beautiful site to wake up too!

Your Santa's are delightful with all of their wonderful detail!

Lovely post.

Blessings, Carolyn

primitive ole frugal mumma said...

I love the santa's and the view fantastic , did i say how i love the colour of the santa's...lol 2 of my favourite colours :-)

Blessings to you and your loved ones and a merry christmas :-)