Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

~BABY STEPS~


Today’s post was actually intended for yesterday, along with best wishes for a Happy and safe Independence Day, but before I realized it, the day had passed and so I hope all of you had a wonderful day, filled with special moments, yummy meals and fabulous fireworks!!

I seem to have special places in my home that I just love, and wanted to share one of them with you, as well as some favorite things I collect!! I have a small collection of old baby shoes, different sizes, some orphaned, some worn, but ALL LOVED!! I think they are so sweet grouped together, don’t you??


Notice the top shelf of my special Pincushion Cupboard is the home for all of these sweet little orphan shoes, grouped with a Nantucket basket, a sweet little child’s bonnet, and a sign from the great shop where I work…New England Saltbox!


Below the cupboard is an old drop leaf red table, and more shoes can be found there as well. The tiny pair on the left are actually made out of velvet, trimmed with fur (perhaps rabbit?) and stuffed with cotton. They have leather soles and are a bit worn, but I love them!! On the other side is a pair of leather lace up shoes, in a wonderful tan color.


On the right side of the table, are a pair of tiny black leather MaryJanes, with shoe buttons for closing…..so very sweet! The white baby shoes are a soft leather and seem to almost be glowing…just like they were worn by an angel, which in truth, they no doubt were, in the eyes of this cherub’s mother!!!


The final shoes are a simple black lace up pair that will probably become the home for some little fabric mice! Till that time, I will enjoy them, as they sit together, and think about all those sweet tiny baby feet that once wore them!!


 Just thinking about that brings a smile to my heart and I hope it does for you as well!! I would also like to take this time to welcome all of my newest followers and to say THANK YOU for coming along with me!!

Wishing you a spring in your step today~~~

Julie

12 comments:

Bobbie said...

Julie..beautiful collection of orphan shoes! I especially am drawn to the larger shoe. I love the shelf they are displayed on and your collection of pinkeeps..beautiful!

jennifer768 said...

Julie I hope that your 4th was wonderful as well! Loved seeing your wonderful pics .Your shoe collection is awesome!Love the pin keeps too!Have a great day ,Jen

A Primitive Homestead said...

Sweet little shoes. Blessings!
Lara

HomeSpunPrims said...

What a sweet post and display Julie! How wonderful we both posted pics today with little old shoes we've collected! Kindred spirits!

cottageprims said...

Julie~ I adore old baby shoes too.Loved taking a peek at your collection.Warm Blessings!~Amy

Home In New England said...

Julie,
I just loved your baby shoes, I cherish my mother's, I have them on a shelf too. Your New England sign caught my eye too!
Blessings, Bonnie

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks Ladies!
I so appreciate your taking the time to stop by and leave such sweet comments!! So nice to know there are other baby shoe collectors out there!! I sent all of you a thank you via my blackberry so I hope you got it! Still trying to learn new tech. things so please let me know if it worked!!
Thanks again and many Blessings~~
Julie

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Darling collection!!! What treasures and thank you for sharing them with us.

Hugs, Carolyn

MulticoloredPieces said...

I'm the "visitor from Tunisia" listed in your Live Traffic Feed (those things fascinate me!). Just happened upon your blog and I find it enchanting. Your work is very interesting and I love the old "stuff" you give new life to. Thanks for sharing.
best, nadia

Susan said...

What a sweet collection. I have my pink and white baby shoes and my daughter's first pair of white walking shoes. Gosh, I remember putting those shoes on her little feet.
I adore little button up baby boots with those cute little shoe buttons. Children looked beautiful in the 18th and 19th century.
Warm Regards,
Susan B., Western MA

Penelope's Beehive said...

Such a sweet collection Julie! Such a story each little shoe must hold. Perfect treasures. I am delighted to know that they have found someone to treasure each wee step.

Warm & gentle hugs my friend,
Judy

Rabbit Hill Primitives said...

Hi Julie,
Thanks for paying me a visit. Seems like I've been out of touch for a long time although its only been a few weeks.

I love your baby shoe collection. They are all so sweet and look so pretty the way you displayed them. I have a small collection myself that was supposed to be for resale or creations but just love so much it's hard to part with them.

Sending summer hugs ~ Jenn xo