Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A GOOD BOOK



A BLESSED COMPANION IS A BOOK, - A BOOK THAT FITLY CHOSEN, IS A LIFELONG FRIEND,….A BOOK THAT, AT A TOUCH, POURS ITS HEART INTO OUR OWN.~ DOUGLAS JERROLD

As long as I can remember, I have loved books and that love has grown over the years! I have a large collection of old novels, many dating to the turn of the century, and not only do I love to collect them, but have actually read and still enjoy reading them!! Some are fragile and have that well-loved look, and I don’t know if they are actually that valuable, but they are to me, and I treasure them!!


One of my very favorite books also happens to be one I remember reading at a very young age, and because it was an old copy, it was missing the cover, and eventually became unreadable….perhaps you could say I literally read it to death!!



I was so sad when that happened and so my quest began to try to find another copy!! Fortunately for me, I was not only able to do that, but in the process, I found out that this author had written other books too!!! Oh Joy!! I felt like I had struck gold!!!
The book is called, “A Girl Of the Limberlost” by Gene Stratton Porter, and if you have never read this amazing story, I encourage you to look for it and read it!!



I am also the happy owner of quite a number of her other books too, and feel fortunate indeed to be able to read and enjoy them!! There are still a few I don’t own, but perhaps I may still be able to find and acquire them!! ~sigh~



I also love “how to” books, and home decorating books, and can never seem to have enough of them…..or so I thought!! Recently, while doing some housecleaning, I suddenly realized that I had some duplicates of some favorite books, and the more I looked, the more I found!!! As I said earlier in this post, I LOVE books, and because of that, I just can’t seem to say NO to ones I like, even if I already own it!!! So, I have weeded them out, and now have quite a few that I want to pass on to others to enjoy!! Some of them are out of print and all are in great shape, so perhaps if you are looking for a particular book, I may just have it!! Just hop over to my picture trail for a look!


I hope after talking about books, that you will have the opportunity to look through your bookcase, visit your local library, or even stop in at your favorite neighborhood thrift shop, to find the perfect book to relax with! It is the easiest way to have a little mini vacation, curled up in your favorite chair with your beverage of choice! ! Tea and Scones, anyone?

Wishing you a delightful, relaxing read~~

Julie

8 comments:

Susannah said...

I could not believe it when I read your post about "Girl of the Limberlost". I was a young girl and it was during the summertime....my Mother asked me if I would like to read a book that she had read as a girl? I said that I would like to look at it...but I really did not have alot of enthusiasm. Well, that book was the most wonderful read!!!!! I could not put it down! It was "the book" that started a lifetime of reading for me. I have read every day since that time many years ago. Thank you for posting about "The Girl of the Limberlost". I just had to leave you a comment.

Friends,
Susannah

Penelope's Beehive said...

Good morning Julie...Clearly you and I share a passion, not only for needle and thread, but books...old books most particularly. If truth be told, our home is near to overflowing with them! The bookshelves are full, a few blanket chests, an old linen press, and as space became dear...stacks beneath a favourite antique desk. There is nothing quite like the scent of old paper, the feel of the boards, and the wonder of who may have held the book so many years past. Magic indeed!

Wishing you hours of joy and delight my friend!

Warm and gentle hugs,
Judy

Tammy ~ A Primitive Place said...

WOW!
What a collection!!
I also have a weakness for decorating books.
I'll even buy ones I already have if I come across them at a good price.
And I wont even get started on my magazines!!
I still have ones from the early 1990's, the pages are worn and ripped.
And yes, most are missing their covers too.
But I just cant get rid of them.
I still get them out and look through them.
Tam

Joanne said...

What a beautiful collection - I too love to read but do not have a beautiful library of books like that! Never heard of that book but always love suggestions and will look for it now! thank you for sharing!

Kattywhompus Primitives said...

Ahhhh...books, a weakness of mine also. :) And what a wonderful collection you have Julie!

I spy a number of Ms. Porter's volumes on your shelf. She is one of our Indiana treasures. Several years ago, Mr. Kattywhompus & I took an anniversary trip to visit her home. A lovely old house, situated in the woods with the yard sloping down to the lake...truly one of the loveliest places I've ever visited. Of course I imagined what it would be like to live there. :) "Laddie" is an especial favorite of mine.
I'm so glad you shared your collection!
Hugs to you!
Rhonda

Gayle said...

I'm a bookworm too, but I rarely buy books to read - I get them from the library instead. However, craft & decorating books are a different story and I have often found duplicates in my studio - sigh! Glad to know that I'm not the only one who does that! LOL

Gayle said...

P.S. I just checked to see if my library has The Girl of Limberlost - and they do (in large print) - but they also have a videocassette - so I'm guessing this story was made into a movie at some point? Just wanted to mention that to you........

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thank you Ladies, for all the great comments and a special thanks to Gayle, for letting us all know that there is a video! I will certainly look for it at my local library so I can watch it!!! Hope you can all find a copy of it too!!! Happy viewing....and reading!!!