Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Monday, May 23, 2011

HELLO DOLLY!!


One of my very favorite things to make is a DOLL!! I realized the other day that it had been quite some time since I had created one, so I began searching through my old books, magazines, and patterns for some inspiration and ideas!! I have quite a collection of wonderful patterns by some amazing designers and after sorting through some choices, I finally settled on a wonderful stump doll from Hootin Annies! I have had this for a long time and have just never made it, so it seemed like the perfect one to use!!

There are 2 different sizes, a large one, and a smaller one, and both are made without arms or legs, hence the name STUMP DOLL!! They look wonderful grouped together, with all of their different dress fabrics!


The smaller ones are grouped together on a primitive twig bench, each with her own personality. The face patches were sewn on randomly and the dress fabrics are old ticking and quilt scraps to make them each have their own one of a kind look!


Here is the larger doll with a dress made from some old turkey red fabric that I found inside and on the edge of an old quilt. I just LOVE this shade of red!!




All the bigger dolls grouped together!!


Here is a close up of the hand stitched patch on one dolly!! Each one is added to look just a bit different!!

All of these dolls remind me of a close knit group of special friends.....just like all of you who share your encouragement, concern and kindness with me and each other!! I am so thankful for all of you who let me know you were thinking of me and for your notes and comments concerning my last post!! I am doing much better and it certainly helps that the sun is finally shining here too!! I am also grateful for all of you who have chosen to follow my blog and thank you for taking the time to visit!! It warms my heart!!

All of these dolls have been added to my picture trail with detailed descriptions, so if one of them is speaking to you, please stop by for a visit! If I can answer any questions, please let me know!!

Thank you for taking the time to stop in today! I hope you enjoy my new dollies as much as I enjoyed making them!! I don't think I will ever be too big for dolls and I hope you feel the same way!!!

Wishing you DOLLY HUGS~~

Julie

13 comments:

HomeSpunPrims said...

Julie, your dolls turned out awesome! They look so good all together in a grouping. I love all the different colors of dresses. I will never be too old for dollies! I'm glad you are doing better. Dolly hugs back atcha!

Farmhouse prims said...

I love, love, love your dolls. What an awesome crafter that you are!! Lecia

Lorna/Live Oak Primitive Peddler said...

Hi Julie, the dolls are just awesome!! I love all the different fabrics. Have a great day!!
Blessings,
Lorna

Jennifer @ Stitchin' Thyme said...

Julie they are all amazing, I love each and everyone.

Kattywhompus Primitives said...

These are fabulous Julie! I sent Emily a note telling her to stop by and see this wonderful interpretation of her pattern. She'll be thrilled. :) So glad you shared photos of your work!
Rhonda

old crow said...

Julie, your stump dollies turned out great!! Love all the different ticking fabrics!!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Hi Julie, your stump dollies look so cute all cuddled up close to each other. Love the tag attached upon them. Thanks for sharing your fun and creative work! What smile you have brought among all of us.

Hugs, Carolyn

Penelope's Beehive said...

Oh my, such a delightful family of dollies...and each with their own personality! You are indeed creative and most talented gal Julie!

Wishing you many joyful hours of peaceful stitching...

Warm and gentle hugs,
Judy ox

Sandra Evertson said...

They are wonderful!
Sandra Evertson

The Tame Lion said...

Dolly dolly we love you.

Tammy ~ A Primitive Place said...

OMGosh Julie!!
These dolls are amazing.
Love them.
Tam

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Your lil' stump dolls are prim perfection!

Patty said...

I love them! Without faces they are still so full of expression..