Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Sunday, August 22, 2010

An Old Quilt And Sawdust!

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul. ~Author Unknown



I have a long standing love affair with fabric!! Some of my favorites are civil war reproductions, wools, homespuns, ticking, linen, prairie cloth, muslin..... do you see a pattern here??? I guess I have to say that I honestly just love textiles!!! Take me to a good quilt shop with wonderful primitive fabrics, and you would think I was a kid in a candy store!! It IS pure eye candy for the stitcher, and I get energized and inspired by the many shades of red, mustard, brown, black, blue, rust, and tan, and imagine all the many things I can create with those luscious colors!!



So imagine my delight when I came across an old quilt with all those colors in it, done in a log cabin style, AND in my price range!!! It is a wonderful old quilt, and is pretty large, but had some damage around the edges and is basically a cutter, but that didn't matter to me as I had PLANS!! There is a good part of it intact, and I decided to keep that for myself as I love having quilts folded up in a large wooden box under a table in my living room, but the edges could be removed and the perfect squares would make PERFECT PINCUSHIONS!! So that has been my latest project!!



I removed the straight stitching between the blocks and made a back for the block out of black prairie cloth, which I felt really added to the look of the piece. After stitching the two pieces together, I filled the square with clean sawdust. Now, if you have never done that, it sounds pretty simple, but I must tell you that it takes some TIME and PATIENCE and the CORRECT TOOLS to do it right (at least MY WAY, anyway). I use a funnel with a large hole in the end, as the sawdust can really get clogged and stop up the funnel!! I just thought you poured it in and it just filled up like magic.....SILLY ME!!! I also use a metal chopstick as wooden ones have a tendency to break, and I just keep pushing the sawdust to the corners first, and then squeeze it and keep this process up till it feels full!! This can take a while and be a bit messy too, so I put the sawdust in a pie plate and use a long handled teaspoon to add it to the funnel and also to spoon the final amount in to get it as full as possible!!



When it is just the way I like it, I stitch it closed, and then do small x's all around the edge to finish it off with brown thread! Not only does that reinforce the outside, but it also gives it a really nice finished look!! I do stain it afterwards and let it dry really well, and then embellish it with old rusty pins, an old shoe button, and a handmade tag!! I have already made 5 of these and have sold 2 of them and plan to make more soon!! They have been so much fun to create and to be able to use something from the past and remake it for another purpose is so gratifying!! I can't wait to make more!!



Wishing you inspiration my friends~

Julie

20 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

tooo coooool!!! have a wonderful week.:)

Cheyenne said...

These pincushions are beautiful! I love, love the photo of the quilts stacked up in the box at the top. I love fabric shops too, and always love to see another lady's 'stash.' :)

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks Gina! The colors are deeper than the picture shows but I'm glad you like them!!! Have a wonderful week as well!!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks Cheyenne!
As I mentioned to Gina, the colors are deeper but seems they appear a bit faded (at least to me) so I'm glad you like them too! I also LOVE that box and love the look of quilts stacked on top of each other as well!! So cozy and colorful!!

Shirley said...

I used to work for a antique dealer part time. We would take quilts that were cutters and make mini pillows....squares, rectangles, stars, hearts, bears, kitties, etc. They were so cute tucked in amongst the antiques in her store. We sold them as fast as we could make them.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks for your comment Shirley! Everyone loves a little quilted "treasure"!

Rabbit Hill Primitives said...

Hi Julie!
Thanks for visiting me and leaving such kind comments. Gladly I will visit! I always love reading new blogs that I haven't found yet. Fabric shops ARE candy stores minus the carbs....even more satisfying. What a wonderful collection of quilts. Your definitely right about that sawdust...it sure can be messy!! Love all your other little pincushion make-do's in previous post also!

Warm hugs ~ Jenn

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hey Jen~
Thanks so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments too! Blogs are a wonderful "mutual admiration society" and I have met so many wonderful kindred spirits on this journey!! Hope all goes well with school with your precious daughter and with your new website too! Can't wait to see it!!
Love the comment about the carbs!!

Blessings and Hugs~
Julie

colonialhomestead said...

I love the pin cushion. The log cabin quilt design is beautiful. I guess you can say I am silly to. I used a funnel to add sawdust to some muslin hearts I put my Grams pins in. It clogged Oh I thought it would just go in but I poked it down with you guessed a chopstick. Chopsticks are great craft tools. I use a fork to eat chinese but get the free chosticks to take home for future crats.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hey Lara~
Thanks for the comments!! I have been using sawdust for a long time and wanted others to know that it can be pretty time consuming but oh so fun and gives such a wonderful look!! Yes, chopsticks are excellent tools!!! Who knew??!!
Blessings~
Julie

Patti said...

Hi Julie!
Love these log cabin pincushions!
Are they available to purchase online?

Blessings, Patti

Laura said...

Love your charming little pincushion, Julie. I too have love of old fabric and the history of it.

Laura :)

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks so much Patti~

I have several available and sent you an email regarding the details, so hopefully you got that! If not, please let me know and thank you so much for liking them! They look so much richer when you can actually see them!

Blessings and Thanks~
Julie

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thank you so much Laura! If only these old quilts could talk and share with us all the times they kept someone warm, cuddled them and made someone happy!! They are truly a "blanket of love" and how fortunate we are to be able to own a piece of history!!

Blessings~
Julie

Joanne said...

Julie - thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog about the rug give-a-way - This way I found your blog - I have been meandering around it and love it - you do wonderful work! Love everything! Quilts - ooohhh! Anyway - be sure to check out my blog in a little bit - I will be updating it with the winner - and I have an inkling you will be very happy about what you will be reading (at least I hope!) Okay off to post that update!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Oh my Goodness Joanne!!

I just found out I won your Giveaway and I am still in shock over it!!! Thank you SO MUCH!! I still can't believe it!! You have made my day, my week, my month, my year!!!! I just happened upon it and decided to comment, but NEVER even thought I would win!!!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!
Blessings, Hugs and Thanks~
Julie

Lori said...

A big congrats to you Julie on winning Joanne's rug. You will be thrilled with it I am sure. Joanne does wonderful hooked rugs.

Love your old quilt and the pinkeeps you are making. You are so creative.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Oh Thanks so much Lori!!! I am so thrilled!! Your work is so wonderful as well and if you say her rugs are wonderful, I am REALLY excited!!

Love all of your beautiful creations too!! You are another wonderfully creative kindred spirit!!

Blessings~
Julie

Speckled Hen Country Store said...

Oh, Julie! The pin cushion is so adorable and I know that old quilt is humming a thank you for allowing it to continue it's journey in a new and special way! You are a gifted artist and a treasured friend! Hugs, Lynda

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thank you so much Sweet Lynda!!! I think a quilt's favorite song just might be..."put your arms around me...."!
Blessings and Hugs~
Julie