Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Good For What Ails You"



I have not posted in a while due to some difficult situations that have weighed heavy on my heart! They are personal, and I have shed some tears, fretted and struggled with my emotions lately! Many of you reading this may no doubt be going through your own issues of the heart and my hope for you is that you will find peace, and good friends who will offer a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, and comfort, as I have!! The circumstances may not have changed, but I have been able to let go of much of the burden and am grateful for that! Life can be really hard to deal with at times and I am just taking things one day at a time! I hope you are too!

Because of all this stress, the other day my sweet husband Jeff suggested we just take a day and go to visit a wonderful place nearby called Point Defiance. He is an ordained minister turned wedding officiant, and had just performed a wedding earlier in the week in the Rose Garden there, and wanted me to see how beautiful it was!! Point Defiance is also a State Park, and has many trails, breathtaking views of Puget Sound, and a wonderful zoo, so you can spend the day there, which we did!



We started off with a lovely lunch at Anthony's, a wonderful seafood restaurant, and since this is peach season, we had the dessert.....oops, forgot the main course first!! It was a seafood tempura, which we shared, some clam chowder and THEN, the fabulous PEACH SLUMP!! All I can say is....YUM!!! We sat at a window seat and just relaxed, watching the water and taking in the view which was so peaceful!!







From there we took the 5 mile drive, took lots of pictures and of course, Jeff made me pose in most of them because he said it was helpful for people to get the proper perspective of the size of the tree, or the view or just because he thought it made the picture look better!! Now you know why I married him!!!

The temperature that day was in the 90's but as we drove into the forest, it felt more like 70's and it was SO QUIET!! The air just seemed so clear and fresh! Of course I had some silly shoes on that were NOT appropriate for hiking and so between stumbling and almost breaking my ankle and then jumping when I heard rustling in the woods, we had a good time laughing at me as the true "nature woman!" I am always afraid there will be a lion, a tiger, or a bear....oh my! It was really fun though and the drive was beautiful! The trees are huge and one tree in particular called "The Mountaineer Tree" was dated to W. Shakespeare's time of 1500's, was 218 feet tall which Jeff calculated to be about 21 stories, to give you perspective! Boy did Jeff feel small in front of that!!!







We ended our drive, parked and walked to the Rose Garden and it was just a RIOT of colors and the smell of the roses was unbelievable!! Jeff showed me where he performed the ceremony, how the chairs were arranged, and how he had to face the sun the whole time. During the wedding one of the flower girls actually passed out and I could understand why as there was NO SHADE!! ( She didn't hurt herself and the wedding went on as planned)! Not only are there roses, but there are also many more varieties, hydrangeas, primroses, and more that I can't name or spell!! It was a true feast for the eyes and a balm for the soul and I felt like I had been given a prescription for all the stress, sadness, and worry I had been feeling!! What a special place and a special day! I feel encouraged and refreshed and am so very thankful!! It is a beautiful place and did my heart and my spirits much good!!!





























I hope that you enjoy my pictures and that they lift your spirits and brighten your day!

Wishing you joy my friends~

Julie

6 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

great photos...thanks for sharing;)

Lorna/Live Oak Primitive Peddler said...

Julie, all that beauty and your sweet husband would have to lift your spirit!! 8-) Thanks for sharing all that beauty. Feel better!!
Blessings,
Lorna

Cheyenne said...

Wishing YOU joy. I'm grateful you have friend's that you can go to, and a husband who seems to genuinely care for you. Thanks for being transparent...one day at a time is a good motto to live by.

Thanks for sharing your lil day out too. I love coming 'along' on vacations & days out...and it's always neat to see what the area is like where someone lives. You are such a beautiful lady!

Take care of YOU!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks Gina! The Pacific Northwest never disappoints as far a pictures go, does it?? Have a wonderful day!


Thanks Lorna~
It truly is a beautiful place and was the perfect day with the perfect person to share it with! Thanks for your kind words and for caring, and yes, I am doing much better!

Thanks Cheyenne~
Your kind words touched my heart and I thank you for caring! I am dealing with things much better and yes, I am CHOOSING JOY!!

Blessings to all of you~
Julie

colonialhomestead said...

This place is just amazingly beautiful. I am sorry to hear you are in a valley at this time. I am happy this outing and friends have lifted your spirits. We will just have to agree in prayer that the good Lord touches you and puts his hand on these troubling circumstances in your life and brings you to the top of his mountain. Blessing to you!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks so much Lara~
I appreciate so much your kind words, thoughts and prayers! I'm trusting HIM for good days ahead!
Blessings to you too~
Julie