Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Monday, July 12, 2010

Waste Not, Want Not


I'm sure all of you are familiar with this famous proverb that some have credited to Benjamin Franklin, and have no doubt heard it or even quoted it many times! Growing up as I did in a large family with limited resources, it was a daily motto and practice that I have inherited, and hopefully passed on to my 2 children! Of course at the time, the words "waste not, want not","making do", and "hand me downs" were not appreciated and I can actually remember being chased and made fun of for a mustard colored corduroy jumper ( a size too large) I wore to school that was not considered fashionable!! Oh the sweet memories (and not so sweet ones) of childhood!! Now it seems anything goes that you choose to wear and thankfully with age comes wisdom!! Is that another famous quote or proverb? I digress..back to my original thought...



I still practice these same principles in my life as well as in my art and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to find objects that no longer are usable for their specific purpose and reinvent or reuse them for a new one! When I find that small funnel, oil can, bobbin or spool, candlestick, salt shaker, glass insulator, old silver creamer or sugar, piece of vintage linen or fabric...you get the idea....my heart goes pitter patter and I have visions of make dos dancing in my head!!


When I first heard the title of a little book called, WASTE NOT WANT NOT, The Art of the Make-Do, I was intrigued and have been fortunate enough to now own my own copy! It is full of wonderful examples of early found objects, re-purposed into unique, sometimes humorous, and inventive repairs to create new purposes and to preserve the life of a former loved treasure! This book makes my heart sing!!


I'm sharing some pictures of make-dos I have made and I hope you will be inspired, and encouraged to begin your own quest for discarded objects and begin creating some special re-purposed treasures!! Perhaps you might even find a vintage old mustard colored corduroy jumper!!!

Happy Creating my friends!

Julie





The Possible's slow fuse is lit
By the Imagination.
~ Emily Dickenson

12 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Gosh, these pictures are great! Seriously!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks so much Cheyenne! If you click on them, you get an even better view!! Glad you stopped by and thankyou for the kind comment!!

Blessings~
Julie

Paula-Pieces from the Past said...

You are so creative-Love it!!! Love the pewter pin cushions-beautiful!!!

Paula

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks so much Paula!! I love making them and have sold so many that I hated to part with, but these were some of my favorites that I just decided to keep for my own collection! I'm glad you like them!

Blessings~
Julie

colonialhomestead said...

Glad to hear I am not the only one who hates to part with some of their own creations. Every thing is prim perfect. I love the pin cushions in the pewter or silver. My Pap & Gram seemed to never throw anything away. It seemed you could always find some thing at the house you could use. I remember some unreal outfits I had to wear to school and yes was made fun of. I look back now and understand there was not much money and scraps from the sewing factory were free. Homemade cloths by Mother made from scraps from where she worked I am sure was a blessing for her at the time. I was clothed and I did survive.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks so much for your comments Lara!! I have been making these for a long time and am always watching for the perfect container! I love it when I find one, all tarnished and worn looking!! They make the best ones in my humble opinion! Your mom sounds like an amazing woman and truly lived by the words...Waste Not, Want Not! Glad you are following in her footsteps!!
Blessings~
Julie

Speckled Hen Country Store said...

Hi Julie! Oh, yes, I am inspired! I LOVE the whole idea of the make~do, and yours are so adorable! Sorry I missed you on Sunday:( Hope to see you soon~ Happy creating! Hugs to you, Lynda

Beckyjean said...

Julie~

Just found your blog & signed up as a follower. Love all your prim goodies. Off to check out the rest of your blog & your picturetrail. Have a great day.

Hugs~Becky

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks so much Lynda! Your comments always mean so much!! Sorry I missed you too! I'm sure we will be out your way sometime soon!!

Blessings and Hugs~
Julie

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

So nice to meet you Beckyjean and thankyou for your kind comments! It has been so much fun to meet new "friends" and I hope you have a most wonderful day!!

Blessings~
Julie

Christine LeFever said...

Wow! You have quite the wonderful assortment of make-do's. I have that book too! Your mustard colored corduroy jumper sounds cute to me. I don't have room for all of the make-do's I've made. But, I am entrepreneurial and so, I sell everything. You are so fortunate as to have held on to yours. I'm so looking forward to one day getting up there to see that shop where you help in the management!

Christine

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks so much Christine! I'm supposed to be selling everything too, but sometimes I can't help myself!! I would probably think the jumper was cute now too, but sadly I don't look good in that color...just love it to decorate with!! I hope you can come visit sometime too! Marlene the owner has created a beautiful shop where I get the privilege of working and "playing" as she calls the decorating!