Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What's In A Name?


Names fascinate me!! I work in a gift shop and when I help customers at the register I usually have to ask for some form of ID to prove to me that they are who they say they are! I have learned MANY interesting names that way....the typical names like Sue, Mary, Kathy, and then the more unique names like Monique, Angelica, Harla, and my very MOST unusual one.....RANSOM!!! She told me she was named after a great grandfather and said her name started MANY interesting conversations!! I can just imagine, can't you? She would have to be so careful that people didn't think she was ASKING for Ransom!

My favorite names are ones I am familiar with, like my own names, Julie Elizabeth, and my other family members' names. They are well known to me, music to my ears and bring feelings of warmth and love as I say them, because they MEAN something personal TO ME!!

I was named "Julie" by my Uncle, and "Elizabeth" after my grandmothers on both sides of the family! I learned the the name Julie means, "youthful one", and the name Elizabeth means, "promised by God!" I am certainly happy for both meanings and am really trying to live up to both of them!!



One of the greatest joys of my life this past year was to become a first-time Grandmother!! Our little Isabella Elizabeth was born in January and I did an earlier post about her arrival, and it is hard to believe she is almost 4 months old as I write!! Sadly for me, she lives in CA and I live in WA, so it makes visits very hard indeed!! Thankfully, we have the wonders of Skype, and cell phone text pics, so I can see her progress and my daughter in law and son are great about keeping us up to date! I actually heard her first burp over the computer!!! In April, Grandpa Jeff and I got to actually go for a visit and what a joy it was to hold little "Bella" in our arms!!! Pure Heaven!! Isabella means, "promised by God" and Elizabeth also means "promised by God!" I sure got doubly blessed and someday I will tell her that she is my, "Double Promise!"


What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet. ~ Shakespeare

13 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I love your grandbabys name and she is just beautiful.I love her eyes.;)

colonialhomestead said...

Bella is beautiful. You don't look like a grandma girl. I like you do not get to visit in person with my granddaughter often. I got to see some pics on the iphone tonight. They grow oh so fast.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Awww Thanks Gina and Lara for your sweet comments!! So far Bella still has blue eyes and mine are blue too, so we share that trait!! Like I said in my post, I'm trying to live up to my name....."youthful one"!! It gets harder and harder!!! iphones and skype are modern day miracles!!!
Blessings and Smiles,
Julie

Heather said...

What a lovely blog you have here! I LOVE the sweet creations you've made! I also love names and am forever sad to have one of those generic names of my generation ;) I named my daughter Audrey, and my business Audrey Eclectic. All Audreys always seemed uniquely beautiful and sweet and talented, and that's what I wanted her to be :)
Nice to meet you!~
heather

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thank you so much Heather! So nice to meet you as well!! I love the name Audrey and your business name is so unique!! What a wonderful idea! I'm sure your daughter is living up to her name too!! Thanks for your sweet comments and for stopping by!!

Blessings,
Julie

Finegan Antiques said...

There is nothing more precious on this earth than family. I am filled with joy with your new addition to your family. Double Blessing is so very true

Also thank you for visiting my blog site.

Warmly,

Donna

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Being a new Grandmother is beyond description!! My "heartstrings" are truly tied to Bella and I am so thankful for the joy of her!! Thankyou so much Donna! I really enjoyed my visit and plan to come back often....SO MANY wonderful blogs out there!!! Addicting!!!

Blessings,
Julie

PEA said...

Love that name. Just beautiful. She is a very pretty baby as well. Fits her well.
Having a unusual name has its drawbacks. My name is Phillane E'lee
which means Friend to mankind * reborn
I was name after my Father Philip and my sister Phylis Elane who both died before my birth.
The most interesting part of my name is that every part of it has double letters. Including 2 sets in my married name.
Have a wonderful week
Phillane aka Pea

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Nice to meet you Pea and I do love your name too! So unusual and beautiful, as well as a wonderful way to pay tribute to loved ones!! Thanks for the comment and I hope you come visit again!

Blessings,
Julie

primitivebettys said...

Your granddaughter is beautiful as is her name :)

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thankyou so much Betty! She is the sweetest baby with the nicest disposition.....spoken like a TRUE Grandma!!! She has my blue eyes so I am smitten with her!!

Blessings~
Julie

Grammee Linda said...

Congratulations on your new granddaughter.She is simply adorable! I became a Grammee last June and the year has flown by.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Oh thankyou so much Linda and for stopping by!! Your blog is so beautiful and I have enjoyed visiting..trying to remember if I am following or not?? If I'm not, I should be!!LOL
Congratulations on joining the "Grandma Club" too! Just wish my angel lived closer!! Skype is the next best thing!
Blessings~
Julie