Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Meet Mr. Woolly!


I live in a quiet neighborhood that used to be mostly farmland and has been developed into private homes, townhomes, (where I happen to live), apartments and a quaint area by the Puyallup River, appropriately called, RIVER WALK!

My husband Jeff and I love to take walks around this area as it is pretty quiet, and free from the busy traffic all around us! Because the river does flood it's banks at times, there are several areas surrounded by fences that are designed for drainage. They are not very pretty and yet are quite important for keeping extra water controlled! Interestingly enough, we just found out they also serve another purpose!!

Several weeks ago on my drive home from the New England Saltbox where I work, I happened to pass one of these drainage areas and glancing over, I thought I saw a big white sheep eating grass!! It had been a long day and I was really tired, but I was SURE I had seen it!! When I got home, I told Jeff, thinking he would tell me I was crazy, but sure enough, he had seen it too! It was REALLY there or we were BOTH crazy!! We tried to figure out why a sheep would be in the drainage area, so we decided to go for a walk to investigate! You can see what exciting lives we lead!



As we approached, we saw a pretty big sheep, who was quietly cropping the long grasses and so being the knowledgeable country girl I am, I called out, "Here, sheep, sheep, sheep!" He looked up at me, and actually came!! Wow!! I found out I can speak sheep!! He came right up to me and I did the first thing anyone would do...I reached over the fence and started to pet him!! He was pretty dirty, and quite smelly for one lone sheep, but my heart went out to him all alone so I decided to call him....Mr. Woolly!! As we were petting him, we saw a sign wired to the fence that explained he was a special project for the Agriculture Department of Sumner and was not supposed to be touched or fed!! Uh oh! He had some tags attached to his ears and some marking on his back and looked so lonely all by himself!! We talked to him for a little longer (not petting him anymore) and as we walked away, he gave this loud Baaaaa sound and resumed his quiet munching! Poor Mr. Woolly!!

Yesterday, we went to visit with Mr Woolly again, but he was gone! We sure hope that whatever they were testing him for was a success! I will miss seeing him, quietly grazing, and looking up with interest as I call out, "Hey, Mr. Woolly!" I hope he has been reunited with all of his other sheep friends and perhaps he will share his adventures with them about all the crazy people who visited with him during his stay!! Happy grazing, Mr. Woolly!!

Just a reminder that I am having a Giveaway for the month of June! Details are on my sidebar! Thanks to all of you who have already signed up!

Blessings,
Julie

12 comments:

michelle said...

oh my goodness hes so cute i wouldve sheepnapped him,just kidding.lol what a adventure that was.we live in city limits and the kids want chickens so bad.someday.have a great week.god bless michelle

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks Michelle! He was really fun to visit with! We were so sad to see him go, but hopefully he is with all of his friends now!!
So nice to meet you! Thanks for joining my blog!
God bless you too and have a great week as well!
Blessings,
Julie

Firecrackerkid said...

Aww, I wonder what happened to Mr. Woolly? I sure hope no harm comes to him. Oh, hi Michelle:) I'm Carol of Firecrackerkid Primitives and I just found you and am now a friendly follower. Thanks for sharing your Mr. Woolly story.
xoxo
Carol

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Carol~
I miss seeing him!! Hope he is happily back in the fold!! My next story will be about the Canadian Geese!! Watch for it! Thanks for becoming a follower too!!
Blessings,
Julie

janeu729 said...

Just found your blog and joined up! I learned to hook, needlepunch, quilt and braid rugs from Lori Brechlin here in central VA. I'm totally hooked on stitchery and re-purposing stuff. I taught school for 33 years and have been retired for 6. I never did anything artistic until I met Lori.
Glad to "meet" you.
Jane

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Jane~ So nice to meet you too! I lived in VA for 6 wonderful years and wish I had known Lori then! Thankyou so much for joining! I have hopes to learn all those 3 things.....wish I could blink myself there!!
Blessings,
Julie

Farmhouse prims said...

This sheep is tooo cute. I am a follower, please enter me in you contest. Thanks, Lecia

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks so much for following Lecia!! You are entered and I love your blog!! So very nice to meet you! How did you find me?
Blessings,
Julie

Finicky feline primitives said...

You should make some t-shirts that say "I love Mr. Wooly"..I'll bet you could sell a ton on here because he is just so darned cute!! Cathy

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

What a cute idea!! I am amazed at how many people seem to love Mr. Woolly!! He definitely pulled on people's "heartstrings!"

Blessings,
Julie

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Thanks for the great post Julie...well if you knew me...SHEEP ARE MY PASSION for decorating and my sewing - I love them!
I'm wishing we had a few places around here where I could go and take a couple photos of some sheep to make a logo for my website but it's next to impossible to get into someone's pastures for photos! lol

It's amazing how talented you are Julie...sewing and SHEEP TALK....wow! lol

Hugs Karen

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

So many people really fell in love with Mr. Woolly!! I miss him and wish you had a pasture of sheep nearby!! I guess when people ask me what languages I speak, I can now say "Sheep!" Who knew????

Blessings,
Julie