Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Button, Button, Who's Got The Button?


If you have always wondered who the "WHO" in that saying is, the answer would have to be.....ME!!! Actually, the saying comes from an old fashioned game for children where the object is to find the one who secretly has the button! Whoever correctly discovers the one holding the button, becomes the one who gives the button again, and so on and so on!!! It was supposed to keep children entertained for quite some time, as you can imagine! Sadly, no one would have wanted to play with me though, because if I had the button, I would have kept it, as well as searched for the button box and hidden!!! I LOVE BUTTONS!!!!!

I don't remember when my love for buttons began (ok, it is an obsession!) but I have a big, or rather, a HUGE collection of them....all sizes, shapes, colors, styles, and can never seem to have too many!! I keep them in old Ball or Mason jars, and have actually tried to separate them into colors!! One day I got the idea to try to do the colors into groups or 2 holes or 4 holes, but quickly came to the conclusion that no normal person would be doing that, so I stuck with the color idea!!! Did I mention that I LOVE BUTTONS???


I actually use them quite a bit, and when I am creating something, I will get out the appropriate jar, dump it out and look through the pile for the PERFECT ONE!! I love the feel of them as they run through my fingers, almost like sand, and never get tired of looking at them and playing with them!!!

So the next time you hear someone say, "Button, button, who's got the button?", you will know the answer is, "Julie! Who else!!"


Buttons And Patches And The Cold Wind Blowing,
The Days Pass Quickly When I Am Sewing. ~ Author Unknown

11 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

holy cow do you ever have a collection of buttons..love them in the jars..nice collection.;)

Karen~The Barely There Primitive Bear said...

I have never seen so many buttons in one
place! What a collection! Awesome!
Thanks for sharing.

Bear Hugs~Karen

Linda ★ Parker's Paradise said...

this is so funny....I,too, collect buttons. I just love to get them out and sort them, feeling them and looking at them. I have them sorted by color; then I get another jar! I, too, thought about 2 and 4 holes! I do have the shank buttons separated out! I think button nuts must be a special group and I don't mean short bus special! Linda

Finegan Antiques said...

OMG you have A LOT of buttons. I luv it. Do you know how many? I also enjoy the feel of old buttons. Do you belong to a button club?

Donna

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hey Everyone~
Thanks for all your comments and it is good to see I have other fellow button lovers out there!! My whole collection is not even pictured due to lack of space and I have honestly never counted them!! I don't belong to a club, but maybe I should!!lol I talked to another gal who says she has more than I do!! Hope she sends me a picture!!
Blessings and Buttons~
Julie

Christine LeFever said...

My siblings and I used to play Button, Button. We had such a great time at that, in Spokane and Yakima. By the time we moved to Oregon, we were beyond that. I think of that game from time-to-time, and now I know why you have most of the buttons, because you are in Washington!

:-)

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks for your visit Christine! How fun that you played that game!! I don't know where I got my love for buttons, but it seems I have been collecting them for as long as I can remember!! If you ever need any, I promise I will be happy to share!!!
Blessings~
Julie

primitivebettys said...

Now that is a lot of buttons! I thought I had a lot... but you have me beat by a landslide! :)

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Like I said.....I REALLY LOVE BUTTONS!!! Someone asked me if I ever counted them? I wonder if one of those penny counters at the bank would work?? I am afraid it would take me DAYS to do it!! Any volunteers??

Blessings~
Julie

Linda* ~ TheKeepingroom said...

Wow!... That's a lot of buttons!

Thank's for stopping by my blog and enterng my giveaway.

Linda*

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Sometime I will have to see if I can get ALL of them in a picture....still more not shown, believe it or not!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Blessings~
Julie