Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Friday, April 23, 2010

CONFESSIONS OF A STITCHER

" ME THINKS IT IS A TOKEN OF HEALTHY AND GENTLE CHARACTERISTICS, WHEN WOMEN OF HIGH THOUGHTS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS LOVE TO SEW; ESPECIALLY AS THEY ARE NEVER MORE AT HOME WITH THEIR OWN HEARTS THAN WHILE SO OCCUPIED." ~ NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE, THE MARBLE FAUN 1859

I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE; I LOVE TO SEW!! THERE IS SOMETHING SO EXCITING TO ME ABOUT FEEDING A PIECE OF FABRIC UNDER THE PRESSER FOOT OF A SEWING MACHINE AND SEEING ALL THOSE TINY STITCHES INTERLOCKING TOGETHER TO JOIN 2 PIECES OF FABRIC! AMAZING! SUDDENLY WHAT BEGAN AS A SIMPLE PIECE OF CLOTH BECOMES A DOLL, BIRD, PINCUSHION, OR WHATEVER MY CREATIVE MIND IMAGINES!! I AM CREATING! I AM HAPPY! I AM AT HOME!!


I HAVE ANOTHER CONFESSION TO MAKE; I LOVE TO HAND STITCH EVEN MORE!!! THERE IS SOMETHING SO HEALING ABOUT THE FEEL OF A NEEDLE BETWEEN MY FINGERS, POISED OVER THE PROJECT I AM WORKING ON, AS I GET INTO THE RHYTHM OF PIERCING THE FABRIC AND PULLING THE THREAD GENTLY THROUGH. A DESIGN DEVELOPES RIGHT BEFORE MY EYES AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL!! I RETURN TO AN EARLIER TIME, A SIMPLER TIME, WHEN THINGS WERE SLOWER AND LIFE WAS NOT SO HECTIC. I AM A NEEDLEWOMAN! I AM HAPPY! I AM AT HOME!!


"SEWING MENDS THE SOUL." ~ AUTHOR UNKNOWN

No comments: