Let your soul stand ajar, always ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. ~ Emily Dickinson

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Time of the Singing of Birds!

I have a collection of old books that I keep in a bookcase in my bedroom! They are all treasured by me for various reasons, whether it be the author, the title or just the look; I love them all! One of the books by Grace Livingston Hill is called "Time of the Singing of the Birds," and it came to mind today as we are officially entering the Spring season because when I think of Spring, I think of birds!! It seems like I see them everywhere and hear them too.....all the beautiful melodies of the song birds and the noisy "caws" of the resident crows! Spring has sprung!!

If you know me very well, you know that I am terrified of real birds, even though I love them! Sadly, I have had several encounters with our flying friends, once almost falling down a spiral staircase as a bird that was getting his exercise happened to fly right in my face, and another time when a bird got loose from his cage and kept dive bombing me! If I venture into a pet shop and a bird is loose or on one of those perches, you can bet I will find the nearest exit!!!


What is so amazing is that I love MAKING birds!!! I have quite a collection of them and have some lovely patterns by some fellow artists and they are one of my favorite things to create!! I tried my hand at my own designs and even made one with a gusset, which is a challenge, but so lovely with contrasting fabrics!! Since it is Spring again, I have the nesting urge to create more birds and right now I am working on some Pea Hens from a lovely pattern by Barbara Stein. They are so fun to do and I am going to do contrasting gussets, wings and tailfeathers, making them each unique and one of a kind! They truly make my heart sing!!



"My favorite weather is bird-chirping weather" ~ Terri Guillemets


It is indeed a " Time for the Singing of Birds!"


Blessings ~ Julie

6 comments:

Dr. Jeff Zakrzewski said...

Julie, I just love your birds...you do such quality work. I'm a fan forever!

Lori said...

Julie,
I am afraid of real birds too but love to make them! Your birds and make~do's are wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Lori

mrssmith07 said...

I love the birds you make...they are birdyful!!


Roxanne

Jen said...

I love your birds! they are great, I just made some myself from anothers pattern and they were so much fun. I love yours also with the different fabrics, so cute! Great job :)

lindaspost2 said...

I just love your prims. I too am a lover of birds. Just made some pin keeps from another pattern. You can tell that your heart is in your work. I would love to get the pattern for the peahen. Do you sell patterns!!!! Love your blog I go to it every day!
Thanks,
Linda

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Thanks so much everyone for your kind comments! I can never have enough birds and love all the many patterns out there! I don't sell patterns but do have a few of my own designs that have been inspired from some old birds, and the pea hen is a Stein pattern I have had for a while...not even sure where I got it? Thanks for reading my blog....so humbling for me to think others want to know what is going on in my world!!
Blessings,
Julie